Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Tanner Ezell on 23-11-2009 11:14:42 PM
All,

I was browsing the forums and did not see an answer to this question. I am interested in developing some TAPI based applications in my spare time, and one thing I was curious about was cross platform support. From my understanding the TAPI libraries are Windows only C libraries, is that correct, or can they be used on another platform, say Linux or Mac OS X? What about JTAPI? Being Java based, will it work cross platform?

Appreciate the input.

Subject: RE: Cross platform TAPI development.
Replied by: David Staudt on 23-11-2009 11:45:33 PM
You've go the gist.  The Cisco TSP is based on the MS Windows TAPI service and API, and is specific to Windows (check the TAPI guide for which versions of Windows are supported.)  JTAPI - as a Java implementation - is crossplatform and should work in varied Java environments (check the JTAPI guide for details on specific OS's with fully tested support - it 'should work' in any JVM compatible with the minimum requirements for the version you are using.)

Replied by: Tanner Ezell on 25-11-2009 07:41:48 PM
Has anyone had any success with using the JTAPI libraries on OS X?

Replied by: Joseph Moskie on 25-11-2009 10:51:14 PM
Some customers / teams have successfully used Cisco JTAPI on OSX.

There are no Mac OSX installers available. None of the existing linux-based installers will work on OSX.

However, the Cisco JTAPI library is essentially just a JAR file. If you can get a copy of the JAR file from some other installation (like one done on a linux or windows machine), you can write, compile, and run a JTAPI Application on Mac OSX.

However, no formal testing has been done by Cisco on Mac OSX. There may be OS-specific bugs ans issues that we have not run into. These are generally rare, but we have seen a few. The fact that the OSX file structure is now unix based will help reduce the chance of issues.

To be completely clear:

* THIS IS IN NO WAY ANY ENDORSEMENT. CISCO JTAPI IS NOT SUPPORTED ON MAC OSX. APPLICATIONS ARE FREE TO RUN ON MAC OSX AT THEIR OWN RISK. *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links