Helpful
Comments
Cisco Moderador
Community Manager
Community Manager

RegistrationRegistrationRegistration

This event had place on Tuesday 20th, April 2021 at 10hrs PDT 

Introduction

What is the Real-Time Monitoring Tool (RTMT) and how do I use it? In addition to an overview of the components of the tool and the interface, attendees learned how to use it to gather log and trace files in Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM), Cisco Unity Connection (CUC), and Unified Contact Center Express (UCCX), how to view resources in real time, view standard alerts and generate custom alerts, and a whole lot more.

Featured Expert

Featured Speaker
maren.jpgMaren Mahoney has been in the information system industry for more than 25 years with roles in employee development, technical support and helpdesk administration, network administration, management and engineering, and networking courseware development and instruction. She is a Senior Technical Instructor at Sunset Learning Institute and teaches a range of technologies but specializes in Unified Communications. Before she joined Sunset Learning Institute (SLI), Maren worked for Cisco Systems as a Network Consulting Engineer. She also worked for several Cisco Reseller Partners in engineering and technical instructor roles. Maren is an official Cisco Certified Systems Instructor (CCSI). She holds a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and Russian studies and plans one day to gain a master’s degree in Mathematics. Maren holds different certifications in Routing, Switching, and Data Center and a CCIE in Collaboration (#50569). Maren is also a US Army veteran.
Maren was recognized as a Cisco Designated VIP in 2019 for her contributions to the Cisco Community in the IP Telephony category.

You can download the slides of the presentation in PDF format here.

Live Questions

Q:Under what circumstances does it make sense to view "resource total" as opposed to "resource available" or vice versa?

A: That is a really good question. It would depend on the resource.I would say something like if you wanted to monitor the number of currently registered devices. That would be a resource total because that would also be cluster-wide as opposed to a specific item.So that would be a total. And because you're looking at not a resource that's a number but you're looking at an item that's a number. I hope that makes sense.

Q:Can that be sent to a Syslog server?

A:Yes.You should be able to arrange that.

Q:Is it possible to see when a device has changed, for example, if a name has changed or a button on a phone has changed, or a phone has unregistered or changed IP address?

A:Yes. You will need to enter the appropriate search criteria.

Q:Is there a suggested list of traces to collect when looking for an issue?

A:There is no "If this then that" listing, unfortunately. Just exposure and practice.

Q:Do the real time trace have a performance impact immediately?

A:A instance of our RTMT, even if it were looking at, you know 50 different threads is not going to impact co-manager much. What you don't want to do is have multiple instances of RTMT online all the time. So, one instance, 50 things, actually, that's fine. If you had 50 instances and each instance looking at five things, you're gonna see CPU and RAM impacts, especially CPU on call manager so you don't want to do that.

Q:Any way to reset the counters?

A: Not to my knowledge, it's not like on a router, where you clear historical information, but I could be wrong.

Q:How to make the different panels expanded. I can't see the small section on the bottom and it won't expand?

A:This is really a browser-based issue. Try screen resolution changes to fix the issue.

Q:Where are those softphones from?

A:I'm using two different kinds of phones. I have multiple instances of IP Communicator running on one of my PCs using a piece of software called Sandboxie, which allows you to sandbox individual items so I have like four IP communicators running on the same PC. The other phones I have run something called IP blue, which is it'll it's a Cisco phone emulator is a skinny Cisco phone emulator. And the particular version that I have running is something called multi Lab, which allows you again to run multiple instances of skinny phones on a single desktop.

Q:Can we use video monitoring for Inbound/Agent? As you checked logs in Video, can we do the same for inbound/agent?

A:Find the answer to this question in the Ask Me Anything for this session.

Q:How can we collect real time traces for phone registration? Which process to select in real time?

Q:When launching from fx version 14 installed and pointing to a 12.5 cucm, I'm prompted to download 12.5 plugin. Will this then mean that both versions coexist?

Q:Which tool have you used recently for CCX?

Q:Can you use this with pcce?

Q:I know you used to be able to install multiple versions of RTMT for CUCM in different folders on the same system. Does the CCX version have to be on a separate system, or can it be installed in another folder in the same system?

Q:UCCX and RTMT also shows the real time data?

Q: For UCCX, is there a way to see how many calls are active in a particular call control group?

Related Information

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: