cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
azoupas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dear all,

Cisco Webex Teams, apart from paid client, offers a free client that provide great services to any user.

What free Webex Teams client offers?

a) Team Messaging

You can create unlimited  WebexTeams spaces for team collaboration (exchange messages, share files, etc). You can invite anyone by email (customers, partners or anyone you need to work with). If invited person does not have a Webex Teams account then he/she gets a welcome email to get a free Webex Teams accoun and join. 

Webex teams offers also many options to integrate with 3rd-party applications:  

https://apphub.webex.com/

https://help.webex.com/en-us/n0qp3oeb/Connect-Your-Tools-and-Automate-Tasks

Plus Webex Teams offers feature-rich two-way whiteboarding inside team spaces. 

b) Start a team meeting inside Webex Teams space

While you are in a Webex Teams space, you can easily select ''Meet'' and start a team meeting with rest of Webex Teams space members  (using camera/microphones from your device - PC/laptop/smartphones/tablets). 

Team Meeting capabilities per case are described here --> https://help.webex.com/en-us/uxg1zl/Webex-Teams-Meeting-Capabilities-and-Meeting-Sponsors

If user with free Webex Teams account created the space, then team meetings are supported only in spaces of up to 25 members and these team meetings have limited capabilities as described in above article  (meaning audio/video/sharing/etc is there is no support for Audio PSTN, recording and guest access)

if user with free Webex Teams account participates in spaces created by other people then meeting capabilities are dictated by the creator of the space:

--> if creator of space has paid Webex Teams account, then team meetings are supported only in spaces of up to 100 members (limited capabilities again).

--> if creator of space has paid Webex Meetings account, then team meetings are supported only in spaces of up to 200 members (full capabilities in this case).

c) use Webex Teams client to make/receive SIP calls

Each free Webex Teams client has SIP URI and could place/receive SIP calls.

You could use it to dial other SIP systems (endpoints or MCUs) over Internet (including SIP URI of Webex Meetings).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Difference between free vs paid Webex Teams?

According to below articles:

https://help.webex.com/en-us/n19jg1u/Cisco-Webex-Free-Plan-Features#id_133759

https://help.webex.com/en-us/uxg1zl/Webex-Teams-Meeting-Capabilities-and-Meeting-Sponsors

free Webex Teams offers a lot of advanced features but :

a) does not support space moderation capabilities (lock space,etc) // paid client support this

b) supports team meetings in spaces of up to 25 members only // paid client supports team meetings in spaces of up to 100 members (always talking about spaces that this user created)

Apart from above:

c) free Webex Teams has a 6months retention policy (from Webex Teams privacy datasheet : ''Cisco provides free account users up to 6 months of free storage. User-Generated content will be deleted after 6 months.''). Retention policy of paid Webex Teams is dictated in their webex org by their administrator.

d) paid Webex Teams are part of a webex org so could take advantage of many enterprise-level features like SSO authentication, hybrid calendar, extra security features, retention policy, etc. etc. These enterprise-level features are not applicable for individual free Webex Teams client.

Important note - What about free Webex Teams added in Webex org (via claim process)?

Assume customer has a paid webex org with various paid webex services (calling/meetings/team messaging) assigned to certain users. Rest users could have free Webex Teams account to participate in team messaging service but then these would be unmanaged and will not be able to utilize ent-level features (SSO authentication, retention policy,etc.) 

Now, customer could verify email domain and claim these users that created free Webex Teams accounts with corporate email. Claim process is described here: https://help.webex.com/en-us/nceb8tm/Claim-Users-to-Your-Organization-Convert-Users

When you claim a free Webex Teams user then this is user is added under your Webex org and if desired, you could keep him/her without assigning paid Webex teams license. And since this Webex Teams user is now part of a Webex org, they could utilise some of the enterprise level features. 

(At the moment I have not crosschecked which enterprise-level features can be applied to these users - my understanding is that SSO authentication and retention policies are there which seem the most important to me. Hybrid calendar requires a paid webex teams license so can not be utilised by these ''managed free webex teams'' users)

Bottomline is that customers with webex org could add users with free Webex Teams in their Control Hub (via claim process) without assigning licenses to them. These users would have free Webex Teams capabilities (no change here) but benefit is that that these users would be now managed by customer's webex org (big security benefit!) and could utilize some enterprise-level functions (very important also). 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary

For individuals: free Webex Teams is a great client to help you collaborate with colleagues/partners. Get your free Webex Teams client here!

For enterprise customers with paid webex org : apart from the users you have already in your Webex Control hub that consume paid licenses (calling/meeting or team messaging) , you could add free Webex Teams users in your control hub for extra benefits without consuming any licenses.

For new customers : ask your cisco collab partner for a enterprise trial in order to experience power of Webex Teams together with Webex Control hub (management portal) plus other webex services. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hope this helps

please rate if you find helpful

Index of all my collab community posts --> Looking for info on Cisco Collab solutions ? 

rgds

Alkiviadis

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER: this post was created in order to provide useful info to Cisco partners and customers in my area (Greece/Cyprus and Malta).  For official and updated information, please consult cisco documentation, datasheets and ordering guides.

Comments
Rahamim Yacov
Level 1
Level 1

well Done ! very good explanation

aritz.garmendia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm interested in this scenario.

free Webex Teams users added in a Webex paid org without consuming licenses

Recently we found that the 3 participant call limit has changed. Is it now on 25 participants? Is this change permanent or temporary?

https://help.webex.com/en-us/uxg1zl/Webex-Teams-Meeting-Capabilities-and-Meeting-Sponsors

Thanks.

Regards.

Aritz Garmendia 

azoupas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi @akhilps 

sorry for late reply.

As mentioned you need to coordinate with your local cisco collab team.

Unfortunately I am not from product team and cover only accounts in my region. 

Not sure which service you are looking to provide to free webex teams users (by adding them in your webex org).

If you own the domain then you could possibly claim a free Webex teams account that was created using your company's domain.  My understanding is that you could add that user (that created account with company domain you own) and not assign that user any paid licenses in control hub. But at same time that user could possibly use SSO integration (if this is configured on your webex org) or calendar integration (if configured etc). 

Maybe this is not your case but I think that using Webex Teams as softphone of CUCM utilizes similar concept.

You need to have licenses on CUCM for softphone (enh or enh plus or CUWL depending on the case)

+  you need to have a webex org under Control hub

but you don't really need to assign Webex teams paid license to these users in control hub (CUCM licenses are adequate)

this deployment guide describes this use case :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cloudCollaboration/wbxt/ucmcalling/unified-cm-wbx-teams-deployment-guide/unified-cm-wbx-teams-deployment-guide_chapter_011.html#id_107861

rgds

Alkiviadis

azoupas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @aritz.garmendia 

correct, limit has been raised due to covid19 to help users under the challenging conditions.

Not sure if 25-party meetings will be kept or was part of covid19 temporary enhancements.

will try to get an answer on this

rgds

Alkiviadis 

aritz.garmendia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alkiviadis,

Thanks for the info.

We have an org with SSO and calendar integration for a long time. Some of the claimed accounts are free.

We used 3 party meetings so far but suddenly the limit increased. It is being confusing. 

We didn´t see any promotion as for Webex Meetings.

Any definitive information will be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Aritz Garmendia. 

nofxcasey
Spotlight
Spotlight
aritz.garmendia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

That page was the source of my main doubt. Is that change permanent?

Now in our non-licensed spaces we see that 100 people can join the meeting, but i´m afraid it is not real.

It is really confusing.

My main question is if our limit for Webex Teams Meetings and Calls is 25 participants for free accounts claimed in an organization.

Regards,

Aritz Garmendia

azoupas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi @nofxcasey and @aritz.garmendia 

please allow me to add some notes/clarifications:

1) this post was created before covid19 situation and is not updated with recent changes due to covid19.

So it does NOT include the enhancements that BU has decided to add to free Webex teams account due to covid19

and also does NOT include any updates on any BU rollback plans on this.

Plus it does NOT include recent changes on retention policy. 

At some point when time allows, I will update the post with updated info. 

For the moment, I will put a disclaimer on top of the page to make this clear. 

2) For latest official info, please consult help.webex.com and work with your local collab team on any clarifications needed.

As @nofxcasey correctly mentioned, this recent article (May2020)  has some useful info on capabilities of free webex teams accounts:

3) Now info I have on the meetings capability is this:

- in the past as post describes the meeting capability was restricted to 3-party meetings.

- during covid19, BU decided to enhance this.

Info I had is that it was raised to 25-party meetings(as help.webex.com mentions) but due to a error in UI it appeared at some points that capability is 100-party (maybe this led to some confusion). 

- now I don't have info what is the BU policy for next day and whether it will rollback to 3-party or keep it 25-party.

Judging from the help.webex.com article that mentions 25-party, I guess that the meeting capability might be kept to 25-party but I don't have any official answer to confirm this.

rgds

Alkiviadis

aritz.garmendia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thank you very much for the information.

Webex Meetings COVID promotion have been really clear and as far as I know it ends on 30th of June.

Not the case for free Webex Teams accounts included in organizations. 

I cannot inform the users in my company about the capabilities of this tool.

Any info will be great for us.

Kind regards,

Aritz Garmendia

azoupas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @aritz.garmendia 

info I have is that 25-participant meeting was raised a bit before covid and will not be alteted end of june (will not be impacted by covid on/off features).

Now, I can not say if, in the future, Cisco will decide to do other changes to free accounts but this is the situation always (regardless of covid). 

hope this helps at current stage

rgds

Alkiviadis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: