cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Humbled and new to Cyber Security

StephenZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, I am excited to be a part of the Cisco community network and to connect with fellow cybersecurity professionals. Recently, I passed my ISC2 Certification to Cybersecurity course and I am eager to continue learning and growing in the field. I am reaching out to this community for guidance and mentorship as I navigate my next steps. I am interested in pursuing a certification in Pen testing or CEH and would appreciate any advice on which certification to pursue next. Additionally, I am looking for opportunities to gain experience through a paid internship. If anyone has any tips or suggestions on how to find entry-level positions or network with professionals in the field, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your help and support.

2 Replies 2

harmanjs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cybersecurity and networking go hand in hand so first things first focus on learning the basics of networking like protocols, communication, security insecure ways of communication etc. Once that foundation has been set navigate to learning Linux as it is the industry standard OS along with some scripting in bash or python which will be a plus point in the skills. Regarding certifications you can explore the CCNA and the CCNA Cyberops associate (200-201) as these are will provide you a basic birds eye view into the industry. Once these are done you will have enough knowledge to navigate to the field that interests you (Forensics, Red Reaming, Blue Teaming, Purple Teaming, Incident Response etc.).

Hope it helps

I can't thank you enough for the feedback. I am actually about to enroll in
the EC-Council training or TCM Security and have started my Python
tutorials. As far as Kali Linux is concerned it isn't as hard as I though
it would be. Many thanks and hope we can stay in touch periodically.
sezeitvogel@gmail.com Again many thanks, my friend.
Quick Links