Views
Helpful
Replies

URLs to specific answers in threads

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to quickly get a URL that would point to a specific reply in a thread? After browsing the HTML sources, each post is already marked by an HTML anchor but the complete URLs are never made available.

Especially when referring to longer threads, it is often useful to be able to point to a particular response. Having a quick and easy way of "extracting" the full URL to a particular post in a thread would be extremely helpful. The previous backed used for NetPro/CSC did have this functionality, and it would be nice to have it retained here as well.

As for the access to the per-post URLs, the more discreet way, the better. A simple icon somewhere in the bottom bar where the ratings stars are would be completely perfect.

Thanks for considering this!

Best regards,
Peter

6 Replies 6

Richard Bennion
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Peter,

So you would like a 'perm-link' to a comment available on every comment that you could reference directly?

Like this: https://supportforums.cisco.com/comment/10646421#comment-10646421

Or more like this: Link to this reply

Rick

Hi Rick,

So you would like a 'perm-link' to a comment available on every comment that you could reference directly?

Yes, exactly. The exact wording of the link is of course up to our choice - perhaps "Link to this post" would be ideal (as not every post is a reply in its own right). My idea is that each post should have such a link to itself displayed in the bottom bar area along with ratings, Reply/Report buttons etc.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Peter

Peter,

Sounds reasonable. Let me see what I can do.

Will keep you posted via this thread.

Rick

Whatever happened to this feature? 

Anthony,

Well, it probably got postponed, as I did not hear back from Rick on this one. I still hope it's on the CSC roadmap, though.

Best regards,
Peter

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm using links to particular comment as well. Links to particular comment are embedded in email notification. But in most cases I have no such notification saved.

So I'm using a Web Developer plugin/extension in my browser. It can disclose all anchors defined in the document in the form of icon - so I can use "copy link location" then paste it into my comment.

But it's not necesarry to polute your browser with plugin. It's not so hard to compute comment's URL by self. The template of URL is

%%THREAD_URL%%#comment-%%COMMENT_ID%%

for example:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12557746/urls-specific-answers-threads#comment-10646441

Where %%THREAD_URL%% is the URL of the thread in question - as shown in browser's URL bar. The #comment- is the constant, it's not so hard to remember it. And finally, you need do know particular %%COMMENT_ID%%. Look at link behind [ REPLY ] button of the comment you wish to refer. The  %%COMMENT_ID%% is the last component of such URL.

Note I don't claim this to be solution for your request. But it's simple workaround.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links