Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Feedback on the New NetPro?

All,

Consider this an open discussion about the new site.  Dan and I, and the rest of the team will be following this thread.   Tell us about things you like or don't like, and things you'd like to see.  We look forward to your feedback!

Tim Albright

Manager, Cisco Support Community

165 Replies 165

Hi,

My guess is you're running into the same issue Tim responded to a bit earlier (text below).  It still hasn't been confirmed but still think this is the case.

Cheers,

Dan

Jon,

Just want to let you know our current hypothesis: if you look at the topics in Networking Infrastructure (or the others for that matter) you'll see the "other" category.  We migrated archived threads into this new section.  So, the total points for Networking Infrastructure should match up closely, but, the category they reside in beneath Networking Infrastructure may have been altered.  Rick's total, overall, all time points are slightly different from before but nowhere near 1000 points.  We'll keep checking and I'll let you know.  We're "fairly" confident at this point, but Dan bet me dinner at a nice restaurant that this is the issue, so we'll keep you posted as the research goes on.

Cheers,

Tim

Cheers, Dan

Dan and other Netpro staff,

I still have not re-accrued the point in Network Management forum that I had under the old Netpro board. I have my eye on the #3 spot and would appreciate getting full credit for what I've accomplished.

BTW, thanks for the Netpro gift back in September..

Hi Marvin,

It is one of two scenarios causing the discrepancy.

1.  Did we ever merge an old user ID you had with your current one?  If so, let me know what your old user ID is and I can re-merge the accounts.

2.  There was a number of posts we archived in the old version of NetPro.  Archived posts were archived at the forum level which meant once we migrated them to the new platform we couldn't determine which topic they belonged to.  All the old archived posts are still on the site but are under the new "Other Subjects" topic.  This means if you had numerous posts under the Network Management topic that were archived in the old site they are now under the Network Infrastructure "Other Infrastructure Subjects" topic.  You would still have the points but they are now associated with that topic.  This wasn't an ideal solution but we had no choice.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

It looks like I'm a #2 scenario case. I've been posting off and on since 2001 and have been using the same CCO ID for all things cisco.com since 1995-ish.

I see that I have 171 points under "Other Network Infrastructure Subjects". The majority of those had been under Network Management on the old Netpro. If I understand your explanation, I guess I just need to keep posting and re-earn my de-allocated points under the new forum classification.

Still getting used to the new layout. It has potential to be much better than the old tool but requires some mental re-training on my part. I am enjoying the in-line graphics and ability to make hyperlinks instead of just having to paste in a URL. That latter function is especially useful when putting in a very long URL (e.g. reference to another related NetPro thread) - something that would often get truncated by the parser in the old forum tool.

So Dan,

Is there no hope of ever having the "other..." threads correctly allocated to the forum in which they were originally posted?

I've not been able find how to see all my own posts - discussions I've started, yes; but discussions I've participate in, no. Am I missing something obvious? This was very easy in the old NetPro.

Hi Marvin,

No, unfortunately we won't be able to re-categorize  the threads put in the "other" forums.  The archiving scheme we used in the old site didn't allow us to determine what topic the post originated.  That said, no posts are archived on the new site so we shouldn't run in to this issue going forward.

At the moment you can only see conversations you started in your profile.  In the next major release you'll also be able to see replies as well.  For now, the easiest way to find responses you've created is through the search.

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know if someone read my previous comments but my points are back.

Hi Leo,

All your points should be there.  If they magically disappear please let us know ASAP.  I'm thinking that's not a good thing

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Cheers, Dan

Gee whiz Dan.  Don't you guys/gals ever sleep there?  I posted my comments early in the evening (US time) and a few hours later someone fixed it.   

Hi Leo,

No time to sleep.  Must fix all bugs

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan,

Just before I get some sleep I create bugs! I resolve them after I wake up.

Technology jobs are sometimes cruel to engineers/developers unproportionally to the actual effect problems/bugs have on users. NetPro is important, but it's not a nuclear reactor control system, and luckily we are all still alive (and posting), despite the fact our names do not show by default.
I think I see something that looks like a minor bug, but I am not going to report it until you get some decent sleep!

Good night,

Maria

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Dan,

I like the look of the new site but am struggling to find some of the features - e.g. it took me a few minutes to work out how to rate posts.

Is there are user guide available which covers all this?

Also I would be interested in uploading some documents but would like to know whether it is possible to edit or delete them after submission. It would be great to have a "sandpit" facility to test uploading content without it being published to the community.

thanks

James

jamesha wrote:

Hi Dan,

I like the look of the new site but am struggling to find some of the features - e.g. it took me a few minutes to work out how to rate posts.

Is there are user guide available which covers all this?

Also I would be interested in uploading some documents but would like to know whether it is possible to edit or delete them after submission. It would be great to have a "sandpit" facility to test uploading content without it being published to the community.

thanks

James

Hi James,

There are some user guides under the help section.  I don't think we have what you pointed out, so we'll be adding that.  The document creation is covered there and you'll see that you have options about how you create wiki docs, including a setting so that only you can see a doc until you're ready to expose it.  There's also really good wiki doc versioning.    Uploading docs also have some options. Please play with the wiki/doc uploading side of the community and let us know how it's going.  I am going to open a thread so we can capture more ideas for FAQ type explanations.

Cheers,

Tim

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Dan,

Have you thought of providing a NetPro widget for iGoogle or similar sites?

It would be cool to be able to see new posts in specified forums in this way.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tim/Dan,

I noticied that no one addressed the good question from Jon regarding the Questions Answered section. It seems that everyone lost

some/many of these during the transition. It may seem like a small point, but these represent some very, very hard work and hours of time spent.

Here are some examples;

rob.huffman  Old Netpro = 1624 ...New Netpro = 1492
p.bevilacqua Old Netpro = 1205 ...New Netpro = 1118
jon.marshall Old Netpro = 1336 ...New Netpro = 1273
rburts          Old Netpro = 1035 ...New Netpro = 938
giuslar         Old Netpro = 838 ...New Netpro = 817
gkavan        Old Netpro = 114...New Netpro = 104

leolaohoo    Old Netpro = 124...New Netpro = 118

I'm guessing these got lost due to the change in sub-topics and the merging of others. But it would be nice if these could be credited back to people.

Also the Monthly Questions Answered section shows the "All Time" numbers.

Just a couple of small things I hope

Cheers!

Rob

PS: Look at all my nice colors...WOW!

Quick Links