Views
Helpful
Replies

1010 and VEM interaction

LordFlasheart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm new to the 1000V suite and I'm looking at a design that makes use of 1010s acting as the VSMs. I've seen a load of stuff on deploying the 1000Vs but not a great deal on the 1010s other than HA stuff.

From what I understand each 1010 supports 4 VSMs. For arguments sake lets say that I have all 4 VSMs running, each with a different IP address I presume. What I don't understand and I can't seem to identify any documentation that states this is how do I then deploy the VEM on a server and associate it with a particular VSM that is hosted on the 1010? All I've seen is some command line stuff and some webpage screenshots on the server which instals the VEM but nothing showing how it then communicates with your desired VSM located on the 1010.

If anyone has a really simple step-by-step guide or wouldn't mind telling me a straightforward process as to how this works I would realy appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Chris

2 Replies 2

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chris,

No difference in the deployment model if you are using a 1010 or if your VSM is running on ESX. Check out the deployment guide for the Nexus 1000V.

Essentially each VSM you register with vCenter creates a distributed virtual switch. You add ESX hosts to the DVS and that associates it to the correct Nexus 1000V environment.

louis

Hi Louis,

Many thanks for your reply. So in essence:

1. I deploy my 1010s and configure them for HA

2. I log into vCenter and discover the VSMs by IP address and then register them

3. Once registered a Distributed Virtual Switch (DVS) is created

4. Through vCenter I can then tie a VEM to a VSM

If the above is correct then everything is done by vCenter. I take it the 1010 will then "see" the VEMs that vCenter assigned to it and I will then be able to use the 1010 CLI to push configs to the VEMs?

Kind regards,

Chris