Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6506 IOS switch Configuration convert to NX-OS 9300 Configuration

john_lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Recently I had purchase N9K-C93180YC-FX3 to replace current WS-C6506 IOS switch. Can I know got any tools can help to convert the configuration from IOS to NX-OS?

Thank you.

Regards,

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @john_lee 

There was a tool at some point but looks like it was taken down, probably because converting IOS to NXOS config is not always straightforward, especially considering that there is no 100% features parity. Also, there is a different design recommended for Nexus (I am referring to vPC here) which kinda changes how the config will look like after migration to Nexus - single IP on VSS vs HSRP on vPC.

So I would recommend first to check what features are you running on IOS, see what are their equivalent on Nexus (if any), adapt the config to the new design etc.

If you don't plan to change the design, then you can simply take one subset of commands at a time (interface config for example) and try to apply it. If there are commands which are not working in Nexus, you can search in config guide what is the equivalent.

EDIT: On a quick google search I found this: https://netcraftsmen.com/migrating-to-nexus-7000-from-catalyst-6500-and-4500-switches/ This is a table with some differences.

Take care,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @john_lee 

There was a tool at some point but looks like it was taken down, probably because converting IOS to NXOS config is not always straightforward, especially considering that there is no 100% features parity. Also, there is a different design recommended for Nexus (I am referring to vPC here) which kinda changes how the config will look like after migration to Nexus - single IP on VSS vs HSRP on vPC.

So I would recommend first to check what features are you running on IOS, see what are their equivalent on Nexus (if any), adapt the config to the new design etc.

If you don't plan to change the design, then you can simply take one subset of commands at a time (interface config for example) and try to apply it. If there are commands which are not working in Nexus, you can search in config guide what is the equivalent.

EDIT: On a quick google search I found this: https://netcraftsmen.com/migrating-to-nexus-7000-from-catalyst-6500-and-4500-switches/ This is a table with some differences.

Take care,

Sergiu

john_lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sergiu,

Thanks for your advise and sharing. I more focus on routing because my switch have OSPF, BGP, EIGRP and static route plus route map. I not sure current configuration on this portion can just paste into new NXOS. Do you have some sample configuration on my mention routing protocol.

Thank you.

Regards,

John