Views
Helpful
Replies

Downgrade NXOS from 9.3.10 to 9.2.4

justclash4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Im going to downgrade from 9.3.10 to 9.2.4 to check if CSCvu07378 is solved or not.

The current installed epld version is 9.3.8.

Does the downgrade process face with challenges because of epld and nxos version mismatch? 

3 Replies 3

f00z
Level 3
Level 3

EPLD isn't installed per se, it's a firmware update package for FPDs. It contains things like the firmware for SSD, firmware for ASIC , microcodes, power sequencers, etc etc.. In theory it should work perfectly fine with any downgrades of the OS as it's not tied to the actual OS version, but may be some rare instances where it may not (although I have never run into this on nexus). 

Best thing you can do is try it and keep the newer code on there while you install the older code, and if the old code doesn't work reboot it back to the new code.

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

I can confirm that installing an EPLD version associated with a recent NX-OS software release will not prevent you from downgrading from a recent NX-OS software release to an older NX-OS software release. In other words, if you have the EPLD version for NX-OS 9.3(8) currently installed, EPLD should not have a factor in your ability to downgrade from NX-OS software release 9.3(10) to NX-OS software release 9.2(4).

As a side note, CSCvu07378 does not have a fixed NX-OS software release as of yet, so I anticipate that you will find NX-OS software release 9.2(4) is impacted by this defect as well.

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

I upgraded to nxos 10.2.4 and downgraded again to 9.3.10 for some reason. Read-only always happend after 2 or 3 days of uptime. But this time it's about 20 days that the switch is working with no issue.