Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP through VXLAN on N9K switches

jbertherin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just begin some tests with VXLAN. I have no problem to create VXLAN and communicate between 2 N6K switches.

I can create an SVI on one switch to be the default gateway as well. But when I try to configure HSRP or VRRP on both switches to have a redundant default gateway, both switches are in Active states and they didn't show each other (so no standby router on each sides.

As I have seen some documentation, HSRP should be usable with VXLAN, but do we have to configure something special for that?

It is like if the multicast for HSRP negociation doesn't pass through the VXLAN.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

jbertherin
Level 1
Level 1

It is in fact N9K switches and not N6K.

I am facing the same issue now, but it is on the eve-ng lab(presently I'm using nxosv 9k 9.3.3). the hsrp group seems separated with two gateway. I captured both sites, it shows the hello packet has sent from both device is encapsulated by vxlan as a BUM, with the debugging on both 9k in command 'debug hsrp engine', I can not see any hello is receieved from peer. I think that's the probalbe issue on eve-ng. I don't know if anybody is facing this issue on physical environment.