Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9148

jaloud.aljaloud
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo,

i have a custumer who would like to migrate his Switche to Cisco MDS 9148.

We bought 4 Switche and i wanna configure 2 Fabric :

Data Center 1 has SW1 connectet to SW 2 in Data Center 2 with 2 Cables

Data Center 1 has SW3 connected to SW 4 in Data Center 2 with 2 Cables

Server and Storage in Data Center 1 are connected redundant to Cisco Fabric 1&2

Server and Storage in Data Center 2 are connected redundant to Cisco Fabric 1&2

How i can configure the 2 MDS Switches 9148 in one Fabric?? ->  Should i use VPC Technology ???

which recommendations can give me pls to complete this configuration??

Thanks in Advance

Jalo

4 Replies 4

Bhavin Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
At a very high-level design, yes, you can use port channels, using up to 16-ISLs in a single port channel. You also have to look at the distances between these two data centers. Note that MDS 9148 is a fibre channel switch and is the end of support. Depending upon NX-OS version you have on switches, look at Interface config guide or fabric config guide for more details here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/storage-networking/mds-9000-nx-os-san-os-software/products-installation-and-configuration-guides-list.html
Good luck…

Thanks for Reoly ...

what do you mean with distance!

which diffrence of configuration makes the distance?

Well, as you know, the FC packet needs buffer credits. 9148 has a limited set of buffer credits. So, please keep that in mind. Note that 9148 switches are more suitable for edge switches, not core switches.

Thanks for your Reply:)

About Port Channel Configuration, when i configure Port Channel for 2 of Switche MDS 91248, they will be as Active, Active or Active, Standby, or they will be as a one logical Switch like VPC with Nexus Switche?!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card