Views
Helpful
Replies

New Cisco MDS 9710 Switch additon to Existing 9513 Fabric

srkaanug1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We are planning to add Cisco MDS 9710 to Existing 9513 Fabric . I would request you to help me with the below questions .

1) As of now we have Cisco MDS 9513 in the environment and we are trying to add Cisco MDS 9710 , Will it be compatible
2) I am brainstorming regarding Domain ID priority , as of now current switches have dynamic domain ID's ( Not Static ) , where as if I add new switch how to make it " NOT TO BECOME A Principle Switch "
Kindly help me with this

1 Reply 1

cassiolange
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

1) No problem. You will need a port or port-channel (Port Type E) beetwen the switches.

2) You need change switch priority on MDS 9513.

Switch Priority

Any new switch can become the principal switch when it joins a stable fabric. During the principal switch selection phase, the switch with the highest priority becomes the principal switch. If two switches have the same configured priority, the switch with the lower WWN becomes the principal switch.

The priority configuration is applied to runtime when the fcdomain is restarted (see the Domain Restart). This configuration is applicable to both disruptive and nondisruptive restarts.

Configuring Switch Priority

Note

By default, the configured priority is 128. The valid range to set the priority is between 1 and 254. Priority 1 has the highest priority. Value 255 is accepted from other switches, but cannot be locally configured.

To configure the priority for the principal switch, follow these steps:

Procedure

Step 1

switch# configure terminal

Enters configuration mode.

Step 2

switch(config)# fcdomain priority 25 VSAN 99

Configures a priority of 25 for the local switch in VSAN 99.

Step 3

switch(config)# no fcdomain priority 25 VSAN 99

Reverts the priority to the factory default (128) in VSAN 9

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/8_x/config/system-management/cisco_mds9000_system_management_config_guide_8x/configuring_domain_parameters.html

Regards, 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card