Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7K Pre-upgrade fail | pre-upgrade check failed. Return code -1

ahmed3219
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

Today we witnessed an issue which I would like to put it out there for people in case they run into this issue.

We were planning to upgrade our Nexus 7706-6 Slot  switch from version 8.1(1) to 8.4(6a), now as a precheck, it is recommended to check the compatibility/impact of your image before upgrade.

As nexus has two images for upgrade, one is kickstart image one is system image, we had them both loaded into bootflash & ran the following command.

nxos#show install all impact kickstart bootflash:<KickstartImage.bin> system bootflash:<SystemImage.bin>

Error: pre-upgrade check failed. Return code -1

This error comes up because there is no space in the Nexus Temporary folder for the new image extraction & testing. If you issue the command show system internal flash , you will see a "mount-on" column showing the directory /nxos/tmp , it will be showing 100% used.

RESOLUTION

You need to delete the files taking up a lot of space in the /nxos/tmp directory.  So how do we know what's taking up so much space in the directory? for that issue the following command show system internal dir /nxos/tmp.

In my case 4 files were taking up a lot of space as follows:

tacacs_crypt_service_1
tacacs_crypt_service_2
tacacs_crypt_service_3
tacacs_crypt_service_4

So I had to delete these files one by one with the below commands, note that this command DOES NOT have context sensitive help, so no Tabs will work. 

nxos# filesys delete /nxos/tmp/tacacs_crypt_service_1
nxos# filesys delete /nxos/tmp/tacacs_crypt_service_2
nxos# filesys delete /nxos/tmp/tacacs_crypt_service_3
nxos# filesys delete /nxos/tmp/tacacs_crypt_service_4

Now run the following command it should work

show install all impact kickstart bootflash:<KickstartImage.bin> system bootflash:<SystemImage.bin>

Cheers!

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: