Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9300 FAN - Wrong Rotation Direction

moj_ccie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there

We have bought 20x Switches: C93180YC

All Fans are working in Back-to-Front direction in real world & operation correctly, BUT when I run "show environment fan detail", some switches have wrong direction status (Front-to-Back !!!)

For Example:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fan             Model                Hw                     Direction          Status
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fan1(sys_fan1)  NXA-FAN-30CFM-F      --     back-to-front   Ok
Fan2(sys_fan2)  NXA-FAN-30CFM-F      --     back-to-front   Ok
Fan3(sys_fan3)  NXA-FAN-30CFM-B      --     front-to-back   Ok
Fan4(sys_fan4)  NXA-FAN-30CFM-B      --     front-to-back   Ok
Fan_in_PS1      --                   --     back-to-front   Ok
Fan_in_PS2      --                   --     back-to-front   Ok

Is it S/W or H/W issue ?

How can I fix this problem ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ss1
Level 1
Level 1

Those FAN modules are quite easy to disassemble and turn the FAN mechanically so that it blows in the opposite direction but this forum is not the right one to give advice of that kind or solutions how to resolve. Please don't ask how and why as this is an official Cisco forum and we have to respect official selling and support sources.

I bet you have purchased the devices through a third party dealer rather than some official selling channel. If so, your devices might have been second hand and might have been modded in order to work as required for their former owner. 

On your question, if you are sure that the FAN modules are all blowing in the desired direction and the switch doesn't run a countdown to shut itself down due to those issues, then you should be safe to go that way (please check show logging in order to verify this). However, if this was procured officially from Cisco then you are urged to trigger a RMA case in order to discuss directly. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

Not an issue but a functionality. You can see they are different. The F and B point the direction.

NXA-FAN-30CFM-F
N2K/3K Individual Fan, Forward airflow (port side exhaust)

NXA-FAN-30CFM-B
N2K/3K Individual Fan, Reversed airflow (port side intake)

Depending on how data center is build you may need different direction.

In your case, you will need to replace for the fan type you need.

Thank, you right, BUT

My design in DC (Intake & Exhaust) is correct, The Fans & direction work correctly too, BUT in CLI "show environment fan detail" show wrong direction as mentioned above

Is it problem and how to resolve it ?

Thanks a lot  

As per the partnumber your fans seems to be different . There for, they will rotate differently. So, I think the CLI is correct.

Fan1(sys_fan1)  NXA-FAN-30CFM-F      --     back-to-front   Ok
Fan2(sys_fan2)  NXA-FAN-30CFM-     --     back-to-front   Ok
Fan3(sys_fan3)  NXA-FAN-30CFM-B      --    front-to-back   Ok
Fan4(sys_fan4)  NXA-FAN-30CFM-     --     front-to-back   Ok

Now, if all four rotate in the same direction despite the partnumber, then, either you accept this and move one or you ask for RMA. 

ss1
Level 1
Level 1

Those FAN modules are quite easy to disassemble and turn the FAN mechanically so that it blows in the opposite direction but this forum is not the right one to give advice of that kind or solutions how to resolve. Please don't ask how and why as this is an official Cisco forum and we have to respect official selling and support sources.

I bet you have purchased the devices through a third party dealer rather than some official selling channel. If so, your devices might have been second hand and might have been modded in order to work as required for their former owner. 

On your question, if you are sure that the FAN modules are all blowing in the desired direction and the switch doesn't run a countdown to shut itself down due to those issues, then you should be safe to go that way (please check show logging in order to verify this). However, if this was procured officially from Cisco then you are urged to trigger a RMA case in order to discuss directly.