Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9K - ntpd server - change startup options

vxlannnn
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is it possible to modify the command line options that the nexus uses to start the ntpd server.

For example after enabling the bash shell I can see what options ntpd was started with.

/isan/bin/ntpd -g -f /mnt/pss/ntp.drift -A -Y 65535 -n

Is there anyway to add additional options to this process when it starts?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

persoanlly i believe you can not change i guess here. what are you trying to achieve ? what addition you looking ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

We have a specific requirement that time is stable at boot but due to a offset greater than 128ms issues occur.

From the ntpd man page:

The ntpd algorithms discard sample offsets exceeding 128 ms, unless the interval during which no sample offset is less than 128 ms exceeds 900s. The first sample after that, no matter what the offset, steps the clock to the indicated time.

When it steps the clock to the indicated time (20-25 minutes after boot) the Nexus switch won't give out time for an additional 900s as the time has jumped. This causes time sensitive applications to fail for 40+ minutes after the Nexus comes online.

I wanted to attempt to add the -x parameter which changes the step threshold and should stop this from happening.

Thanks

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I can confirm that there is no supported way to modify the startup options that ntpd is configured with on NX-OS. Furthermore, I do not believe there is a way to modify the specific ntpd configuration you are looking for through the NX-OS CLI.

Thank you!

-Christopher

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card