cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV - ASR - Slow throughput between two stations in the extended VLAN

jldeabreu
Level 1
Level 1

Scenario: We have Unicast OTV Transport (Adj Server) and one extended VLAN with a WAN Killer in one site and a NetPerSec PC in the other site. We have OSPF running between ASR1K1 (Area 2) and ASR1K2 (Area 1) through N7K2 and N7K3 (Area 0). PINGs are OK and the OTV ROUTE is built properly. We add more PCs and the OTV ROUTE TABLE updates.

PC-WANKiller ---100M--- N7K1---10G---ASR1K1---10G---N7K2---10G---ASR1K2---10G---N7K3---100Ms---PC-NetPerSec

Problem: We start PC-WANKIller for 100Mbps test but PC-NetPerSec only receives 18Mbps.

We check interfaces and we see N7K1 sending 90Mbps to ASR1K1, that detect 50Mbps incoming and sending 6Mbps to N7K2... Why we have such a diference (50Mbps - 6Mbps = 44Mbps) ?

Other services as End-to-End VLAN between N7K1 and N7K3 allow 90Mbos transfers bypassing ASRs.

Questions:

(1) Have you experienced something similar?

(2) Why we cannot find information about OTV problems with ASRs on Cisco.com?

(3) Any suggestion or information we can use to solve this issue?

3 Replies 3

jldeabreu
Level 1
Level 1

We found the cause of the problem:

It was the IP routing performance bewteen N7K using SVIs that were commuting in software (SUP2E) instead of hardware (Line Cards - We will keep the secret for a while).

OTV was well configured, ASRs are really fast as we tested them back-to-back in our throubleshooting procedure. I did not find much information about OTV for ASRs.

Hi,

I am not much experienced with Cisco but we are facing super slowness with OTV. May I know which command in Nexus 7K confirms that it uses line card and not routing via SUP2E?

Our OTV setup is quite new.

Regards,

Mihir

Hi Jldeabreu
Do you mind sharing how you actually solved this?

I have the same exact issue.
KR
Richard