Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing Cisco 6500 with Cisco 9K Switches

Hello all,

We are replacing Cisco 6500 switch with Cisco 9K switches. Currently, two 6500 switches (not in VSS) are acting as a distribution layer switches.

We are running HSRP between these two 6500 switches and load balanced traffic by making distribution 1 switch active for few VLANS and distribution 2 active for rest.

Below I have listed my plan to handle this cut over. Please review and let me know if I have missed out anything or any corrections needed.

1. Check if 9K are running on latest and stable code, upgrade them to a stable code if needed.

2. Check if we have purchased any license key (to enable features) for 6500 and check with Cisco if it can be transferred to 9K

3. Copy configuration from 6500 distribution switches to the brand new 9K switches. If we find any configuration which is not supported on 9K switch then we will check with Cisco on how to transfer it.

4.Before migration, identify the devices which has single point of failure and come up with an idea on how to migrate them without causing any outage.

5. Lable all cables coming out of both distribution switches.

6.On the day of migration, first we will shut down all uplinks and downlinks of secondary 6500 distribution switch and isolate it. then we will unmount old 6500 switch and mount new secondary 9K distribution switch. 

7.We will bring up new secondary 9k Distribution switch and start migrating cables from old secondary 6500 distribution switch to new secondary 9K distribution.

8. Check uplinks and downlinks and HSRP status on the new secondary 9K distribution switch and proceed further if no issues found.

9.Similarly we will replace old primary 6500 distribution switch with new primary 9K distribution switch.

May I know will there be any issue to run HSRP between 9K and 6500 switches? I hope not!

Ports type wise will there be any difference between 9K and 6500 switches?

We have two point to point circuits, each distribution switch has one point to point circuit terminated on it. During migration, we must make sure that not both p2p circuit go down together.

More importantly, we are planing to do this cutover activity without any downtime.

So I request experts to review my plan and guide me please...

Thank you in advance!

0 Replies 0