Views
Helpful
Replies

show tcp statistics

techmail4sam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There is a command "show tcp statistics" to get tcp statistics.

whether this tcp statistics are of VSM or it includes tcp statistics of VSM+VMs on ESX.

Thanks,

D V

15 Replies 15

ashwinds
Level 1
Level 1

These are the TCP statistics of the VSM only and does not include the stats for the VEM or VMs on the ESX

-- Ashwin

Hi,

How can I get TCP statistics for VMs on VEM?

Should I use Netflow or ERSPAN? or

Is there any other way to get the same?

Thanks,

D V

Following configuration can be used to get tcp statistics for VMs:

flow record protocol-stats

match ip protocol

collect counter bytes

collect counter packets

flow exporter exp
  destination <collector-ip>

flow monitor protocol-stats
  record protocol-stats
  exporter exp

By using above config you should be able to collect protocol-wise stats for all the interfaces on a VM. You can put following config in a port profile or directly on the interface which you want to monitor:

ip flow monitor protocol-stats input

ip flow monitor protocol-stats output

This would monitor traffic in both egress and ingress with respect to VM.

-Shachi

Hi Techmail4sam,

To obtain TCP statistics for VMs on VEM (Virtual Ethernet Module), you have a few options:

Netflow: Netflow can be used to collect and analyze network traffic statistics, including TCP-related metrics such as throughput, packet loss, and round-trip time. It provides visibility into traffic patterns and can help identify performance issues. However, configuring Netflow on VMs might require additional setup and overhead.

ERSPAN (Encapsulated Remote Switched Port Analyzer): ERSPAN is another method for monitoring network traffic. It allows you to capture and send traffic from one or more source ports or VLANs to a designated destination for analysis. You can use ERSPAN to monitor TCP traffic and analyze statistics such as packet size, retransmission rate, and TCP session duration.

Other Methods: Depending on your specific requirements and network infrastructure, there may be other ways to obtain TCP statistics for VMs on VEM. For example, some virtualization platforms provide built-in monitoring and reporting features that can give insights into VM network performance. Additionally, you could explore third-party monitoring tools or custom scripts to gather the desired statistics.

Consider your network architecture, monitoring goals, and resources available when choosing the most suitable method for collecting TCP statistics on VMs.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

https://iliteblue.us

Our web development company are intended to accelerate your success, whether you are an established company trying to remain ahead of the curve or a startup trying to make your mark. Accept the power of technology to grow your company and maintain a stronger relationship with your customers than before. Reach out to us right now to begin your mobile app development adventure with a group of committed experts that share your enthusiasm for success.

James Adrian
Level 1
Level 1

The command "show tcp statistics" is used to get TCP statistics in a network environment. In the context of a virtualized environment with a Virtual Supervisor Module (VSM) and Virtual Machines (VMs) on an ESX server:

1. VSM Statistics: The command "show tcp statistics" provides TCP statistics specifically for the VSM only. It does not include the statistics for the Virtual Ethernet Module (VEM) or the VMs on the ESX server​​.        

2. Monitoring VM Traffic: To collect protocol-wise statistics for all the interfaces on a VM, you can use a configuration involving the 'ip flow monitor protocol-stats input' and 'ip flow monitor protocol-stats output' commands. This setup allows monitoring of both egress and ingress traffic with respect to the VM​​.

This distinction is important for accurately understanding and monitoring your network's performance, especially in a virtualized environment like ESX with VSM and VMs.  

Best Regards

James

www-iliteblue.com

johnflee
Level 1
Level 1

The command "show tcp statistics" specifically retrieves TCP metrics for the Virtual Supervisor Module (VSM) only, not extending to the Virtual Ethernet Module (VEM) or the Virtual Machines (VMs) hosted on the ESX server.

To gather detailed protocol-based statistics for every interface associated with a VM, the configuration commands 'ip flow monitor protocol-stats input' and 'ip flow monitor protocol-stats output' can be utilized. This approach enables the tracking of both inbound and outbound traffic for VMs.

Understanding these nuances is crucial for effectively managing and evaluating the network performance within a virtualized setting like that of ESX, which includes both VSM and VMs.

Regards:

https://www-homeworkify.live/

basit-sheikhh11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The 'show tcp statistics' command provides TCP stats for VSM. It doesn't include stats for VMs on ESX.

Thanks
Regards
Basit
shopify create a website Texas

Oliviiaaa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The command 'show tcp statistics' offers TCP statistics specifically for VSM. It does not encompass statistics for VMs on ESX.

Thank you,
Best regards,
Oliviaa

My Centura Health portal

Chloeeee
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

The 'show tcp statistics' command provides TCP statistics tailored for VSM, but it doesn't include statistics for VMs on ESX.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Best regards,
Chloe
mckinney psychiatry  ankle care services in plano  RCM services

Chloeeee
Level 1
Level 1

In a virtualized environment featuring a Virtual Supervisor Module (VSM) and Virtual Machines (VMs) on an ESX server, the command "show tcp statistics" is utilized to retrieve TCP statistics tailored specifically for the VSM. It's crucial to note that these statistics do not encompass the Virtual Ethernet Module (VEM) or the VMs themselves on the ESX server.

For comprehensive monitoring of VM traffic, a configuration employing the 'ip flow monitor protocol-stats input' and 'ip flow monitor protocol-stats output' commands is recommended. This configuration enables the collection of protocol-wise statistics for all interfaces on a VM, facilitating monitoring of both inbound and outbound traffic concerning the VM.

This distinction is paramount for gaining accurate insights into and effectively monitoring network performance, particularly in the dynamic landscape of a virtualized environment like ESX with VSM and VMs.

Warm regards, 
Chloee

Login portal Liteblue

Hi Chloe,

Thank you for your message and for highlighting the limitation of the 'show tcp statistics' command. I understand the importance of having comprehensive TCP statistics, including those for VMs on ESX.

I will look into this further to see if there are additional commands or methods we can utilize to gather TCP statistics for VMs on ESX. I'll keep you updated on any progress made in this regard.

Best regards,

Basit

RhythmReceipts

Thank you for your swift response and commitment to addressing this matter.
I truly appreciate your dedication to enhancing the functionality and comprehensiveness of TCP statistics for VMs on ESX.
I eagerly look forward to any updates or progress you make in this regard.
Please feel free to reach out if you need any further insights or assistance from my end.
Thank you again!
Best Regards
Chloee
eHallPassInsider

njmcdirect-run
Level 1
Level 1

The "show tcp statistics" command typically provides TCP statistics for the Virtual Supervisor Module (VSM) in a networking environment, which manages virtual machines (VMs) on ESX hosts. It does not directly include TCP statistics for individual VMs on ESX hosts. njezpass