Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to Upgrade DCNM from 11.1.1.0 to 11.3.1

DClements
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I am trying to upgrade DCNM from 11.1.1.0 to 11.3(1) on my windows 2016 server and after reading release notes for 11.3(1) it appears that I can do an in place upgrade, see below. After trying multiple times I an unable as the installer states the following ports are needed by DCNM are not free. DCNM services have been stop and confirmed stopped in services.msc but the installation still states that the ports are in use are a retry. Server has been rebooted. I am probably missing something simple so any help would be appreciated. 

Cisco DCNM Installation and Upgrade Guide for SAN Deployment, Release 11.3(1)

11.1(1)

To Windows—Inline Upgrade

To Linux—Inline Upgrade

To OVA\ISO—

• Fresh 11.3(1) SAN Only Installation.

• Migrate Performance Manager Collections

Note 

The old Performance Manager data will replace any existing Performance Manager data on 11.3(1).

Upgrading Cisco DCNM Windows using GUI

Before you begin, make sure that Cisco DCNM 11.1(1) or 11.2(1) is up and running.

Procedure

Step 1

Stop the DCNM services.

Step 2

Run the Cisco DCNM software for Release executable file.

Upgrade Notification window appears

Step 3

Click OK to begin the upgrade.

Step 4

Click Done after the upgrade is complete.

The Cisco DCNM Release services will start automatically.

1 Reply 1

David Castro F.
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello sir,

I have had this issue before, there could be a number of reasons:

- Once you stop the DCNM service, the ports are still in used and the connections are not timed out and eliminated from the netstat table.

- You have the firewall on, and once you stop the services, the fw on Windows would not allow the ports(This may not make sense since DCNM was working).

- The services are not completely stop.

Recommendations:

- Restart the windows server with the stopped DCNM service, of this server only contains the DCNM. This will help us eliminate the active conns, and make sure the services are completely stopped.

- Turn off the FW and if possible the AV.

If you cant do any of the above, you could possibly create inbound and outbound FW rules to make sure those ports are allowed in the Windows FW:

https://www.blackbaud.com/files/support/infinityinstaller/content/installermaster/cofirewalls.htm

and kill the remaining active connections through CMD, you need to run netstat to see what is still active using the ports you need:

https://developers.de/blogs/indraneel/archive/2017/10/18/kill-a-process-in-windows-by-port-number.aspx

It is usually better to come clean with restarting, and if it does not work then, proceed with the other solutions.

Keep us posted, please rate all helpful posts and select this as the solution if this answer helped you.

David Castro,