cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade/Migration Questions

hypnotoad
Level 3
Level 3

I'm planning an upgrade and want to see if my plan makes sense.

Current Configuration:

dedicated 32bit vCenter Server 4.0 running on Win2003R2

5x HP dual socket 6 core hosts running ESX 4.0 and 1000V 1.3a

What I Want:

dedicated 64bit vCenter Server 4.1 running on Win2008R2 (will be same server hardware)

5x new HP DL386G7 dual socket 12 core hosts running ESXi 4.1 and 1000V 1.3a

The Plan:

Step1) Backup the vCenter database, rebuild the server with 2008R2, load SQL and vCenter 4.1, and restore the data. There is also that pesky Nexus 1000V XML file that will be copied back in there. Server will have the same name and ip address.

Step 2) vmotion guests off first host, remove from cluster, add new ESXi host (same name, ip address, and network configuration), install VEM manually. Then repeat for the remaining hosts.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan?

Will I have a problem with the 1000V licenses?

Thoughts or other recommendations?

Thanks,

Patrick

4 Replies 4

ryan.lambert
Level 1
Level 1

I would be curious to hear some input on this as well.

Does the dvs uuid change when the vcenter server is rebuilt, or is that restored along with the database? If the former, I could see a little bit of a snag there where it may be necessary to reattach the VSM to the datacenter.

Since you are removing VEMs one by one, you may also need to do some clean-up (if you care about it) unless there is a method to gracefully back out the cruft configuration that is left over. Last I knew, there wasn't, but that may have changed.

I opened up a ticket with VMware. The tech is slow to respond but he did send me this today.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1020893

I'll be doing the first part tomorrow morning. We will see how it goes. Cross your fingers.

--Patrick

My vCenter upgrade went well. Funny thing but did anyone notice that that there was no step three in that doc?

Now to sort out the host upgrades.

I just wanted to close this out. I developed my own procedure for migrading hosts. I removed old DL385 G6 servers and replaced them with DL385 G7 (12 core per socket - awsome). As part of my host upgrades I was also moving from ESX 4.0 to ESXi 4.1. I also moved from a boot from SAN model to boot from local SD card. And I decided to move my management and vmkernel logical ports to a standard switch outside of the 1000V (see step 4)

1) Login to the active VSM and run 'show module". Make note of the module number for the host you are working on. You'll need this later.

2) Move VMs off the host to be upgraded

3) Place host in maint mode

4) Create a new standard virtual switch - assign an unused nic and set upstread switch to trunking.

5) Go to the DVS config on the host and click on "Manage Virtual Adapters". Migrate the service console and vmkernel interface my clicking on "Migrate to Virtual Switch". Use the VSS created in step 4.

6) Go back to the host config in vCenter and find "Manage Physical Adapters" from the distributed switch. Remove all of the uplinks.

7) Go to Home > Inventory > Networking and remove the host from the 1000V. You may see an error stating that a port is in use. If so, double check step 5 and you may need to reload the active vsm. I had to do this because of a stuck port.

8) Remove the host from the cluster.

9) Login to the active VSM and run 'show module'. Verify that the vem is no longer registered.

10) Edit the config and remove the vem # for the module you documented in step 1. The command is 'no vem # (replace # with the number from step 1)'

11) Power off the host - it's done.

Now you can build the new server and os just as if it were never there. I won't go into that detail. The deployment docs have that covered.

Remember to redo your port-channels on the VSM after installing the new host. They are lost when the host of removed from the DVS in vCenter. Also be show to upgrade to the version of 1000v to support your ESX/ESXi version. I had already upgraded to 1.3a.

--Patrick