Views
Helpful
Replies

VSM Nexus 1000V Installer Problem

jensmahnke
Level 5
Level 5

Hi all,

I tried to install the release 1.2 Nexus 1000V with the new automatic installer. Deployment runs fine, but in the installer, after choosing the VSM VM and assign the VLANs I got the message "the choosen VM does not appear to be a Nexus 1000V VSM". I attached the screen.

The manually configuration like before in Version 1.1 works. Any ideas?

Jens

10 Replies 10

Lukas Mazur
Level 1
Level 1

hi Jens,

i had a similar problem during my Deployment of 1.2 with GUI Installer.

Atleast in my case the problem was the password you defined in the first step of Installation which did not meet the complexity requirements (not in a dictionary). The password was 8 chars long with upper and lower case letters and numbers but it simply didnt worked.

Then we tried the CLI Installation with the same password and got an error trying to set that password.

My suggestion is that you try to set a different password (and maybe using the CLI installer).

BR Lukas

Hello Lukas,

I have tried now different passwords, but the problem still exist. The ova deployment works well in the new release, for my understanding the password is set here. After that I can launch the VSM HTTP side and start the installer app. But at the point where I have to choose the VSM VM, then I got this error message.

The manual (CLI) configurations works, so I´m able to install the Nexus 1000V, but I´m evaluating the possibilities and the GUI would be a nice option.

Jens

hi Jens,

yes the password is set in the first phase (ova deployment) - but atleast in my case the password i set there didnt work using the installer. i was also able to launch the installer app and go through the steps till the selection of VSM resulting in the same error message you got.

when you tested the same passwords you are using during the Installer setup with a complete CLI installation method and that worked without any problems you must have a different issue i've experienced.

BR lukas

sachthak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jens and Lukas,

For the Installer GUI, to avoid this issue please confirm the following:

1. The VSM VM has 3 E1000 network adapters

2. The VSM VM has a guest OS type of "Other Linux (64-bit)"

Please see the attached screenshot for (2) under the "Edit Settings" option for a given VM.

Confirming the above should help in avoiding the "The chosen VM does not appear to be a Nexus 1000V VSM." message.

thanks,

sachin

Hi Sachin and Lukas,

thanks for your help. Now I found the problem, Sachin´s answer give me the vital direction.

The ova deployment installed the VSM with three NIC (E1000) and an OS type of Linux (checked) and Other Linux (64-bit) in the Version field (like on your screen). But with this settings I got the error message above.

After changing the OS to Other (Checked) and 64-Bit in the Version field, everything works. I have still not an idea about the reason, but it´s a workaround.

Thanks for your answers,

Jens

Hi Jens,

Out of curiousity, which version of VC & VSphere client are you running in your setup?

Thanks,

sachin

Hello Sachin,

I´m running v4.0.0 Build 162856 (both VC and Client). I will test the procedure again after our next upgrade.

Cheers,

Jens

Hello

I tried all the suggestion with no luck.

I am using Nexus 1000v 4.0.4.SV1.3

vSphere 4 Update 1

I enter the password during the ova setup and yet it tells authentication failed, both through the web interface and the console.

I have re-installed the ova 3 times now always works this way.

Under options in the VM settings I have verified the password.

Please help.

So just to confirm, you enter a password during the OVA deployment & choose the "Installer" deployment option. When you boot up the VSM, you aren't able to log in with this option?

Yes that would be correct.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: