cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSM standalone to active/standby?

doug.baer
Level 1
Level 1

I haven't thought about this before, but is it possible to convert a VSM that was installed as 'standalone' to an active then add a standby to the configuration, or is the answer given at initial config time my 'final answer'?

If this is possible, is it as simple as bringing up a new VSM as a standby with the same domain ID, or do I need to build a new active/standby pair and migrate my licensing/configuration to it?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

doug.baer
Level 1
Level 1

Sigh. Of course, by the time I get around to posting about this, I find the answer in a document that I had downloaded

FOr those interested, this is possible, and there is a section called, "Adding a Second VSM to a Standalone System" in the Cisco Nexus 1000V High Availability and Redundancy Reference guide available here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0/high_availibility/configuration/guide/n1000v_ha_cfg.pdf

RTFM, I guess

When I execute the 'system redundancy role primary' command on my VSM, it accepts the command, reloads the VM (before I can copy run start), and comes back up as a standalone. Every time.

Note this only happens if I execute the command while in the config context.  If I execute the command while in EXEC mode, it works fine and I can save the configuration.

Maybe this is a bug? If only I'd followed directions, I wouldn't have had it reload my VSM.

I noticed that same behavior. I tried the same thing with the new 1.2 release and it seems like it's been fixed.

I would highly recommend rebooting the VSM after you switch the role. I had issues getting the secondary VSM to connect to the primary VSM until I rebooted the primary VSM after the changing the role from standalone to primary.

Let us know if you still have issues.

louis