Views
Helpful
Replies

vsm vs vem

Bruce Summers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I'm rushing here, trying to meet a dead line (an unrealistic one) and have not been able to deep dive this..

can anybody tell me if you have to build both the VSM and VEM???

Or can i merely install the VSM software, which I have done, but cannot seem to get it talking on the network...

Bruce

2 Replies 2

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You just install the VSM as a VM. The VEM gets loaded onto the ESX hosts as you add them to the N1KV through vCenter. It's automatic if you use Vmware Update Manager. If you are not using VUM you have to manually load the VEM with esxupate.

If your VSM has no network connectivity check the network connections of the VM.

Network adapter 1 is your control  - used for VSM-VSM and VSM-VEM heartbeat

Network adapter 2 is your mgmt interface -- used to connect to vCenter and for ssh/telnet access

Network adapter 3 is your packet -- used for cdp and span

Make sure these connections are "connected" and attached to correct port-groups on the vSwitch

louis.

ryan.lambert
Level 1
Level 1

As an aside, when you install your first VSM you will first want to create the Control, Mgmt, Packet VLANs in the VMware vSwitch.

That will net you some basic connectivity to your VSM VM prior to getting the VEMs attached.

Afterwards, you can migrate everything to the 1000v once you have all the required port-profiles created.