Views
Helpful
Replies

What do I need to lab BGP EVPN (VXLAN)

Leo Gal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys

I am absolutely new into VXLAN concept, seems, it will be relatively easy to absorb

(Going through Building Data Centers with VXLAN BGP EVPN at the moment)

, but I would need some lab environment for that.

If you can shorten my search for what exactly do I need to be able to simulate the setup in eve-ng,

(or other tool), that would be nice.

Any good navigation info will be appreciated (types of images, anything thats needed ...)

THANKS!!!

Leo

2 Replies 2

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Leo!

To build a basic VXLAN BGP EVPN topology in any network emulation software (such as EVE-NG, GNS3, or VIRL), I would recommend using the latest NX-OS 9.3(3) version of the Nexus 9000v virtual switch. As documented here, the Nexus 9000v supports VXLAN BGP EVPN.

For additional information about the capabilities and limitations of the Nexus 9000v, I recommend reviewing the Cisco Nexus 9000v Guide for Release 9.3(x) in its entirety. For information on how to deploy a Nexus 9000v virtual switch, review the "Cisco Nexus 9000v Installation and Deployment" section of the guide.

The resource requirements for each individual instance of Nexus 9000v are documented here. In summary, for each instance, Cisco recommends you allocate the following:

• 8GB of memory/RAM
  • 1-4 vCPUs
  • 8GB of hard drive space
  • 1 serial port
  • 1 vNIC

A standard VXLAN BGP EVPN deployment involves deploying a minimum of two leaf switches and one spine switch - however, more complex deployments may require more. If you plan on allocating hardware to virtualize Nexus 9000v switches to practice VXLAN BGP EVPN, plan ahead with respect to processor and memory requirements!

I hope this helps!

-Christopher

Thank you Christopher!!!

Gonna go through the documents.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card