cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

This Week In Tech: Ubuntu 22.04 & Kubernetes How-To, The Long Version

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Last week, I pointed to a set of instructions on how to get Kubernetes up and running on Ubuntu 22.04 and added my own fixes and updates. After giving it some thought, I realized it's a pain having to jump back and forth between those instructions and my fixes. So here's a walkthrough all in one place. If you spot any errors, please comment and I'll fix the instructions here. 

A Kubernetes cluster consists of a control plane and one or more worker nodes. These instructions are specifically for Ubuntu 22.04 on the control plane and worker node servers. If you're using any other operating system, these instructions are unlikely to work.

First, install Ubuntu 22.04 Server for the control plane and as many worker nodes as you plan to use. During installation, make sure to specify a manual IP address, not DHCP. In addition, choose the installation option to install ssh. That way, on a separate machine, you can open an ssh session for each server and finish setup in those terminals. 

Do the following on all servers

sudo ufw allow "OpenSSH"
sudo ufw enable

Once everything is installed, open up an ssh terminal for each server and login your user on each terminal. From here on out, you perform actions in your ssh terminal sessions for all servers.

Update the system. I like to install net-tools (so you can run ifconfig) and micro (a simple text editor that's easier to use than nano). You can use nano or vi, but micro is so much easier to use than either of those, I strongly recommend you try it. Do the following on all servers.

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install net-tools micro

Kubernetes requires that you turn off swap. Do this on all servers.

sudo swapoff -a

Now edit /etc/fstab and remove or comment out the line that specifies the swap file. Like I said above, I like micro for editing. Do this on all servers.

sudo micro /etc/fstab

Here's an example of a commented out line in /etc/fstab for the swap file if you install Ubuntu 22.04 on Proxmox. Do this on all servers.

#/swap.img      none    swap    sw      0       0

You can verify that the swap is off with this command (and sample output). Do this on all servers.

free -m

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            1963         619          66           2        1278        1184
Swap:              0           0           0

On the server you plan to use as the control plane, set the host name.

sudo hostnamectl set-hostname cplane1

On the servers you plan to use as workers, set those host names. For the sake of brevity, I'm only including instructions for one worker node.

sudo hostnamectl set-hostname worker1

You want to edit the /etc/hosts files on every server to point to your control plan and workers. Although I'm using only one worker, I'll give you a sample of what it should look like if you have 3 workers. Edit the hosts file on every server:

sudo micro /etc/hosts

Add lines like these, depending on the number of nodes and your IP addresses. The IP addresses here are just my samples; use your own. Do this on all servers

192.168.10.40 cplane1
192.168.10.41 worker1
192.168.10.42 worker2
192.168.10.43 worker3

Now do the following kernel module operations on all servers. This installs the overlay and br_netfilter modules and makes the change permanent by adding it into /etc/modules-load.d/k8s.conf.

sudo modprobe overlay
sudo modprobe br_netfilter
sudo cat <<EOF | sudo tee /etc/modules-load.d/k8s.conf
overlay
br_netfilter
EOF

Set up iptables on all servers.

cat <<EOF | sudo tee /etc/sysctl.d/k8s.conf
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables  = 1
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-ip6tables = 1
net.ipv4.ip_forward                 = 1
EOF

Apply these settings without rebooting by using this command on all servers

sudo sysctl --system

Now install the container runtime on all servers and back up the default Docker container configuration file because we're going to edit it in a moment. 

sudo curl -fsSL https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu/gpg | sudo gpg --dearmor -o /usr/share/keyrings/docker.gpg
echo \
  "deb [arch=$(dpkg --print-architecture) signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/docker.gpg] https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu \
  $(lsb_release -cs) stable" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list > /dev/null

sudo apt update
sudo apt install containerd.io
sudo systemctl stop containerd
sudo mv /etc/containerd/config.toml /etc/containerd/config.toml.orig
sudo containerd config default > /etc/containerd/config.toml

Now edit /etc/containerd/config.toml and change one setting from false to true.

First, find SystemdCgroup, which is normally set to false. Set it to true.

SystemdCgroup = true

Now start the containerd. 

sudo systemctl start containerd

Check if everything is kosher.

sudo systemctl is-enabled containerd
sudo systemctl status containerd

You should see that the container is active and running. For example:

● containerd.service - containerd container runtime
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/containerd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2023-09-28 13:56:49 UTC; 1h 5min ago

Install Kubernetes

Do this on all servers. The apt-mark tells Ubuntu not to change any Kubernetes versions from now on. 

sudo apt install apt-transport-https ca-certificates curl -y

sudo curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/kubernetes-archive-keyring.gpg https://dl.k8s.io/apt/doc/apt-key.gpg
echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/kubernetes-archive-keyring.gpg] https://apt.kubernetes.io/ kubernetes-xenial main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kubernetes.list

sudo apt update
sudo apt install kubelet kubeadm kubectl
sudo apt-mark hold kubelet kubeadm kubectl

Now add flanneld to your installation. Do this on all servers.

sudo mkdir -p /opt/bin/

sudo curl -fsSLo /opt/bin/flanneld https://github.com/flannel-io/flannel/releases/download/v0.19.0/flanneld-amd64

sudo chmod +x /opt/bin/flanneld

The Control Plane

Now go to the ssh terminal for the control plane. Open up these ports and check the status:

sudo ufw allow 6443/tcp
sudo ufw allow 2379:2380/tcp
sudo ufw allow 10250/tcp
sudo ufw allow 10259/tcp
sudo ufw allow 10257/tcp

sudo ufw status

You should see something like this:

To                         Action      From
--                         ------      ----
OpenSSH                    ALLOW       Anywhere
6443/tcp                   ALLOW       Anywhere
2379:2380/tcp              ALLOW       Anywhere
10250/tcp                  ALLOW       Anywhere
10259/tcp                  ALLOW       Anywhere
10257/tcp                  ALLOW       Anywhere
OpenSSH (v6)               ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)
6443/tcp (v6)              ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)
2379:2380/tcp (v6)         ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)
10250/tcp (v6)             ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)
10259/tcp (v6)             ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)
10257/tcp (v6)             ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)

Now pull the kubernetes images on the control plane server only.

sudo kubeadm config images pull

Now initialize kubernetes. Substitute YOUR IP address for 192.168.10.40 in this command:

sudo kubeadm init --pod-network-cidr=10.244.0.0/16 \
--apiserver-advertise-address=192.168.10.40 \
--cri-socket=unix:///run/containerd/containerd.sock

Now set up the credentials you need to run the control plane.

mkdir -p $HOME/.kube
sudo cp -i /etc/kubernetes/admin.conf $HOME/.kube/config
sudo chown $(id -u):$(id -g) $HOME/.kube/config

Check to see if it's running.

kubectl cluster-info

Now apply the settings to get kubernetes to use flanneld.

kubectl apply -f https://raw.githubusercontent.com/flannel-io/flannel/master/Documentation/kube-flannel.yml

You can check everything with this command:

kubectl get pods --all-namespaces

Get the Worker Join Command

On your control plane, issue this command:

sudo kubeadm token create --print-join-command

Copy the output of this command and save it somewhere. You will need it for the worker nodes. For example, the output for my cluster looks like this:

kubeadm join 192.168.10.40:6443 --token d79u9c.22evtkkn0arwpltx --discovery-token-ca-cert-hash sha256:591027ac99b4e04319e67e79e5251d5d106b38c036f4b5f744ecdf5c3c9c0549

The Worker Nodes

Switch to the ssh terminal for your worker nodes, one at a time. For the sake of brevity, these instructions are only for one worker node. If you have multiple worker nodes, perform these actions on all of them. 

Open up the firewall for your worker node and check the status:

sudo ufw allow 10250/tcp
sudo ufw allow 30000:32767/tcp

sudo ufw status

Remember that join command you saved?  Run it now.  For example (don't use this exact command, use the one you saved):

kubeadm join 192.168.10.40:6443 --token d79u9c.22evtkkn0arwpltx --discovery-token-ca-cert-hash sha256:591027ac99b4e04319e67e79e5251d5d106b38c036f4b5f744ecdf5c3c9c0549

Back To The Control Plane

Go back to the ssh terminal for the control plane and check to see if the worker was added. First, check all the pods:

kubectl get pods --all-namespaces

You should see something like this:

NAMESPACE      NAME                              READY   STATUS    RESTARTS      AGE
kube-flannel   kube-flannel-ds-nwvgl             1/1     Running   5 (89m ago)   15d
kube-flannel   kube-flannel-ds-z64gx             1/1     Running   2 (89m ago)   13d
kube-system    coredns-5dd5756b68-9zvqw          1/1     Running   3 (90m ago)   15d
kube-system    coredns-5dd5756b68-t7s5m          1/1     Running   3 (90m ago)   15d
kube-system    etcd-cplane1                      1/1     Running   3 (90m ago)   15d
kube-system    kube-apiserver-cplane1            1/1     Running   3 (90m ago)   15d
kube-system    kube-controller-manager-cplane1   1/1     Running   3 (90m ago)   15d
kube-system    kube-proxy-2gj8t                  1/1     Running   3 (90m ago)   15d
kube-system    kube-proxy-65z9m                  1/1     Running   1 (89m ago)   13d
kube-system    kube-scheduler-cplane1            1/1     Running   3 (90m ago)   15d

If everything looks kosher, now check to see if the worker is added:

kubectl get nodes -o wide

or

kubectl get nodes

If you're not using "-o wide" you should see something like this:

NAME      STATUS   ROLES           AGE   VERSION
cplane1   Ready    control-plane   15d   v1.28.1
worker1   Ready    <none>          13d   v1.28.1

Congratulations! You now have a Kubernetes cluster with one worker node online. Rinse and repeat these last two sections for any additional worker nodes. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cool. Thanks Nick. It would also be much better if you create yaml files (playbooks) with these actions/commands then use ansible to execute the playbooks. This way, you can easily create a kubernetes cluster with a couple commands.

I am guessing you have the short version with these playbooks? Or maybe use k3s instead of k8s?

Cheers,

David

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cool. Thanks Nick. It would also be much better if you create yaml files (playbooks) with these actions/commands then use ansible to execute the playbooks. This way, you can easily create a kubernetes cluster with a couple commands.

I am guessing you have the short version with these playbooks? Or maybe use k3s instead of k8s?

Cheers,

David

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not familiar with playbooks to set up kubernetes. Can you point me to where I can learn about them? 

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, you need to learn about Ansible. There are plenty of Ansible labs and modules at Cisco DevNet LL. Check out this module:

https://developer.cisco.com/learning/modules/ansible-exploration/

HTH