cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is Your Go-To Programming Language?

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Okay, it’s time for a confession. I love object-oriented languages. I really do. There’s enormous power in them. The combination of C++ and Qt (or Python and PyQt, etc.)  a wonderful way to take advantage of existing classes. The C++ based KDE desktop environment has everything you need for a desktop application that will look and feel like other KDE apps.

But when I sit down to dash out an app or script, I go procedural no matter what the language. C++? Python? PHP? I do straight procedural code. I just want to accomplish a quick task, not build a foundation for a greater application.

I tell you this so that you’ll understand my picks for my go-to languages. They are:

• PHP
  • Python
  • C++

No doubt some of you will cringe at the thought of PHP. Yes, it has security weaknesses for web applications, yet there are still a ton of web sites based on PHP. Wordpress is a PHP application, and countless sites are built upon Wordpress. Nevertheless, I’m familiar with PHP because it is very C-like. And it has, in my humble opinion, the best online documentation of any language. The documentation contains examples and user-submitted samples and tips.

So, I told you my top three picks. I ask that you take our poll and make one pick and provide more information in comments as to why you chose that language, and which other languages you pick in addition to your favorite. There are too many language to include all in the poll, so if your favorite language does not appear, please comment instead.

You should see the poll to the right of this article!

4 Replies 4

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My go to OO language is Python because:

1. Easy to understand, learn, and use - Python is known for its simple syntax and readability, making it easy to understand and learn for beginners. It also has a large community of developers who contribute to open-source projects and provide support through online forums.
  2. Versatility - Python can be used for various tasks, from web development to scientific computing, machine learning, data analysis, and more. It has many third-party libraries and frameworks that make development faster and more efficient.
  3. Large community and resources: Python has a vast community of developers and users, making it easier to find answers to coding problems, share ideas, and collaborate on projects.
  4. Cross-platform compatibility: Python code can run on various platforms, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. This makes it easier for developers to create applications that work across different operating systems.

Sean Dahlberg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does QBasic count? Kidding, but it is the language I first started with (omg, I aged myself).

I know a bit of Python but mainly from game development days, such as pyglet and Pygame.

We started doing Vue at my last organization, but I never sunk my teeth into it.

Honestly, though, I still need to brush up on my basic HTML skills these days

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sean,

I think learning to code in HTML is no longer necessary; just understanding the basic syntax and tags is good enough. I started learning Javascript and CSS last year with React JS and now I can create pretty awesome web applications without writing any HTML code.

I am looking at a cool Python GUI package called NiceGUI that utilizes Vue and Quasar. Using this package, you can create cool web pages (both frontend and backend), all in Python.

Verlaine_Devnet
Level 1
Level 1

My go-to OOP is python 

• the ease of learning 
  • the documentation and rich communities 
  • Good for Network Automation  
Network automation,Python,Linux