cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Ansible script

matthewoncisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, This is my first time writing an ansible playbook. Please can anyone help me with the following error. I'm just trying to run a basic show ver to a cisco ios switch. ansible-playbook new.yml PLAY [cisco] *********************************************************************************************************************************************** TASK [show version] **************************************************************************************************************************************** fatal: [mgmtsw1]: FAILED! => {"msg": "Unable to automatically determine host network os. Please manually configure ansible_network_os value for this host"} PLAY RECAP ************************************************************************************************************************************************* mgmtsw1 : ok=0 changed=0 unreachable=0 failed=1 skipped=0 rescued=0 ignored=0 Here is my playbook. please forgive the lack of spacing here this is indented correctly in the actual playbook - hosts : cisco gather_facts : false connection : local tasks : - name : show version cisco.ios.ios_command : Commands : show version  and inventory file:  [cisco:vars] ansbile_network_os=ios ansible_connection=network_cli [cisco] mgmtsw1 ansible_host=1.1.1.1 Thanks

2 Replies 2

Hey @matthewoncisco you error message "Unable to automatically determine host network os" means that Ansible cannot automatically detect the operating system of your Cisco device. You can try adding the ansible_network_os variable directly in your playbook, like this:

- hosts: cisco
  gather_facts: false
  connection: local
  vars:
    ansible_network_os: ios
  tasks:
    - name: show version
      cisco.ios.ios_command:
        commands:
          - show version

If you share your playbook/inv file this will help in case you have other issues such as.

Edit: i saw you have In your inventory file, you have a typo in ansbile_network_os. It should be ansible_network_os.

Please mark this as helpful or solution accepted to help others
Connect with me https://bigevilbeard.github.io

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@matthewoncisco 

Check the ios release and notes of the ansible collection

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/