cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is Packet Tracer no longer maintained? What about the fix to the depricated packages like libdouble-conversion1 and qt-at-spi?

Compiler
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to install Packet Tracer in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. And this is what I get. Packet Tracer is still mentioned by YouTubers to teach new things. But its very buggy when it comes to using it in Linux distros. Even though I can go to some websites and install these two packages which are no longer supported, it will still be buggy. I even tried reporting the issue several months ago. No response. Nothing.

I was wondering if the introduction of VIRAL is what stopped any development/bug fix of Packet Tracer from now onwards. On the other hand, we have GNS3 which is cool, maintained, and opensource. But when you are learning from someone, it's better to use the same tool as your teacher.

Screenshot from 2020-07-18 18-07-41.png

I wish the development of Packet Tracker never stopped.
I hope, I am asking in the right community. It's my first time, so, go easy on me.

Any info/tips/ideas are welcomed.

5 Replies 5

Martin L
VIP
VIP

no, VIRAL or CML has nothing to do with PT which is product of Net Academy.  But I agree, PT 7.3.0 has some issues especially for MACs and Linux users.  I think there are less issues for Windows users , so please Use PT for Windows.   What happened is - in my opinion - they  added new features into PT v7 (comparing to PT v6) which may affect compatibility issues with other OSs.

I would visit Net Academy or contact them via Help menu from PT with your issues/requests.

Yes, GNS3 is cool, Eve is much better.....or cooler. 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

no, VIRAL or CML has nothing to do with PT which is product of Net Academy.

Does this mean, "Net Academy" is not under Cisco?

Does that mean Cisco doesn't mean doesn't make any of the software to handle/learn Cisco devices/iso!?

But I agree, PT 7.3.0 has some issues especially for MACs and Linux

"Some issue" is an understatement. There is a lot of small issues that led to the crashing/exit of Packet Tracer.

I think there are less issues for Windows users , so please Use PT for Windows.

Wow, now I have to install the Windows operating system. That's is just amazing. I wonder what do you suggest to MAC users! Install Windows on MAC and use Packet Tracer. Or use VM and install Packet Tracer. This is crazy. There is a lot to consider, like how much RAM do I actually have; why I hate laggy Windows & NTFS; why I love the speedy Linux, etc. To avoid all aspects and buy Windows so that I can use it for Packet Tracer is mindblowing. No, thanks.

I would visit Net Academy or contact them via Help menu from PT with your issues/requests.

I will try that again. But I will doubt, it will make any dent. After all, we know there is no separate place/forum/community to discuss dedicated as "Net Academy". This is the only place.

Yes, GNS3 is cool, Eve is much better.....or cooler. 

Never have I ever heard of EVE before. Nor anyone mentioning it. But when u say, "Eve is much better", I very much doubt that. But I guess, I can't say that because I haven't used both software before.

Thanks for replying. Sorry, if my replay seems a bit 'not sweet'. Since I am a noob, do feel free to correct me.

I think Net Academy is a Cisco partner (like Cisco Press) but not part of Cisco System. Cisco provides "learning labs" and virtual lab software called CML (used to be VIRL) and SandBox labs on DevNet. There is no "trial" or education version of IOS software for public use (only for Cisco Employees). see https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/ and https://developer.cisco.com/site/sandbox/

I agree, Ubuntu is faster (Lubuntu is faster) then Windows; however, till PT issues are resolved, I dod suggest using Vmware to run PT on Windows. Alternative solutions are Dual-boot PC or using Tablet with PT mobile version.
besides this site, there is also CLN community but there is no dedicated PT group; still you can post your concern over there. https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/discussions
I found this PT reporting site, https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/e8051c092e07401aa7d50ec2424a6e1c/

While PT is a software simulator, both GNS3 and Eve-ng (eve-ng.net) are emulators which means you must have your own images like "real" or virtual IOSes. There is also CML from Cisco (see CLN store) but it is not free. I always recommended PT for beginners and CCNA exam; beyond that, at CCNP and CCIE levels, GNS3 and Eve are only viable choices.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

you can try Cisco modeling lab, CML, for free over at DevNet Sandbox https://developer.cisco.com/docs/sandbox/#!networking/networking-sandbox-highlights
Official Cisco Cert support and Learning resource site is CLN, Cisco learning network.

Have you tried PT on  Ubuntu 18.x ?

Have you tried PT on  Ubuntu 18.x ?

Currently, had and still have buggy experience since Ubuntu 19.04, 19.10, and in 20.04 LTS releases.

What I am trying to do in the video?
Ans:

Step 0: Install new bug fix update PT 7.3.1 in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Step 1: Open PE

Step 2: Try to save a file

(In this step, if there is a file already saved as "abcd.pkt" then you can't save a named starting "a". PT will go into a mode, this mode is called "hang" mode. It froze. To bypass this, u need to open/use/go to another application using Alt + Tab. After pressing Alt + Tab and return to PT and you can continue writing the file as "axyz.pkt" but if u choose "ab" then again it will go to hang mode because there is a file named "abcd.pkt". And u know what to do to bypass it.)
Save us from this annoyance.

About using CML, I can't go against my certified teacher and install/use CML where everyone is using PT during my CCNA class. It's not a good thing to do. I barely see anyone using CML and teaching something in YouTube.