Visitas
ÚTIL
Respuestas

Stackwise

babalao
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

I think that in the past it was a requirement that the stack cables were connected crossed (SW1 - Port 1 with SW2 - Port2 for example).

Does this requirement still apply?

I sometimes connect (in a LAB) port 1 with port 1, and the same with port2 and works ok.

And the same doubt about power-stack, how should I connect those cables?

Thank you!

Regards

5 RESPUESTAS 5

STD_NetWorld
Level 1
Level 1

@babalao : Yes for Stacking we have to connect port on cross direction. 

Could you share out put of  show switch stack-ports & show switch detail?

Hi

First, the suggestion is to use 2 stack cables for redundancy, if you connect just 1 stacking cable between the switches, it will work but you will have a point of failure, so the main idea is always think in high availability as possible.

Now the stack-power cables are optional, they are not required into an operaional scheme (at least it is desired) but going back, if you want to have redundancy in every way you connect they as crossed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=power+stack+cable+connection&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=APwXEdfpquoRBJ2L2DcPMmpvFoLrJkDLiA:1681251166081&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiq96DU7KL-AhWgRTABHfLRCJQQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=2131&bih=1060&dpr=0.9#imgrc=Jo4Ve...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/white-paper-c11-741945.html

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hello,

yes, I know that you need more that one cable for redundancy, it was an example.

So you say that I always have to connect them crossed, like this:

SW1 - P1 ------SW2 - P2

SW1 - P2 ------ SW2 - P1

So if I connect them not crossed like P1 with P1 ,and P2 with P2 would I have any errors/problems ?

And do you have any links that says that, I could not find any.

Thank you!

Regards

You can do that, but as Cisco suggestion it should be crossed as long you add more switches it will be easier, it is more thinking in a future. But connecting port 1 to port 1, and port 2 to port 2 will work fine.

The following link can be useful.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-blogs/connecting-stack-cables-a-better-way/ba-p/4109155

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Edson A. Hernandez
Spotlight
Spotlight

The purpose of cross-connecting the stack cables in Stackwise is to allow information to flow optimally between the stacked switches. By connecting the cables in this way, a high-speed ring connection is established between the switches, allowing for faster and more efficient communication between them. Additionally, this configuration allows the network to be more resilient to failures, as if one switch fails, information can flow through the alternate path via the other switches in the ring

Its just for best prctice.

**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***