Views
Helpful
Replies

Blocking Inbound File Attachments

chrisjmolloy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Currently, we are upgrading our email firewall from Borderware to Cisco C160 Ironport.  I have loaded the config file and am now in the process of setting up/configuring policies, content filter.  I want to block certain inbound attachments such as .exe's, .bat, etc.

I go to the following:

Mail Policies

Incoming Content Filter

Choose Add filter and provide filter name (optional)

Choose Add Condition

Attachment File Info

File Type is

Here is where I choose certain file types to block or allow through depening on the filter I am creating.

Do I have to create a new conditon for each file type I want blocked or can I choose multiple file extensions somehow??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Foucha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can block file attachments by file extension such as .exe, .ppt etc. with the knowledge that someone could change an exe file to .xex and it would be accepted. The other option is to block by file type which looks at the binary signature of the file and determines if it matches. There are pre-configured categories of file types like Executable, Graphics etc. You can select the category or you could pick the individual file. Selecting Exectuable would block every file deemed as an executable under the category and would prevent the renaming of the file.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Tom Foucha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can block file attachments by file extension such as .exe, .ppt etc. with the knowledge that someone could change an exe file to .xex and it would be accepted. The other option is to block by file type which looks at the binary signature of the file and determines if it matches. There are pre-configured categories of file types like Executable, Graphics etc. You can select the category or you could pick the individual file. Selecting Exectuable would block every file deemed as an executable under the category and would prevent the renaming of the file.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: