cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C360 to C390 Migration - Best practice

MS-JK
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team, looking for good C360 to C390 best practices or if anyone has successfully done this and on which code levels. I'm finding x70 migration documentations but no luck yet o x60 to x90.

Thanks for any feedback!

5 Replies 5

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You may need to deploy a virtual appliance on the same version as the C160 and copy its configuration, then upgrade the virtual (and the C390 if needed) to get to the same release before transferring the configuration from the virtual to the C390.

Hi Libin,

Thank you for your input. Is there any official Cisco documentation that talks about this procedure and perhaps lists the versions from/to in which case this would be necessary and supported? 

Also - as these are 'physical' appliances - will there be any issues porting configs between VM and Physical?

Step1: Deploy VM same code as the old C360

Step2: export configs from old C360 into the VM

Step3: upgrade VM to latest code

Step4: export VM's config to new C390

That will work, just make sure that the VM and hardware boxes have same version of AV/CASE/ETC as well as base build.

I've had issues when the versions of the various security engines didn't match also.

Make sure to NOT mask the passwords when you save the config (select encrypt of plain text)

You may have to change the IPs in the XML before you restore to the VM. Looking at mine at the moment, I don't see an option to not use the network settings.

Another way to go about this would be to:

stand up the VM with all the network config it needs

join it and your C360 in a cluster, give it a bit to replicate the config

break the cluster

upgrade the VM to match the 390

join the 390 and VM in a cluster

Hi,

Run into a challenge. The VMs (C100V) are showing upgrade options:

9.7.1 build 066  (latest)

The new C390s upgrade options for 9.x code showing:

9.7.2 (Build 065 or 131).

Not sure why the VMs are giving me different code options here and I'm not even seeing 10.x or 11.x. Would it be that its C100V and I needed to download the C300V?

Per earlier responses - I'm hoping to bring the VM (transition BOX) and the new C390 on the same code levels (9.x) so I can import/export configs between them. Then I'll upgrade C390 to 10.x or 11.x as needed.

Looks like I just needed to do 'multiple' upgrades. I now see the 9.7.2 versions after initial upgrade of the VEs to 9.7.1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: