cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Could not log in to the email security appliance

zamunda
Level 1
Level 1

We have deployed a Cisco Email Security Appliance C380 for sometime now & was working without problem at the company I'm working for. Recently, however, we stopped getting external mail & when I checked the log, saw the error was due to the appliance blocking any communication. Tried to login to the appliance using the console & it just keeps asking for user/password & showing the following error.  (Screenshot attached with hostname blanked out).

Can anyone tell me what happened here & how to fix it?

ciscoESAError_blanked.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dmccabej
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Was the device upgraded recently? That error normally points to a failed upgrade. You can try to reboot it, but most of the time it ends up needing to be replaced (RMA). You may want to open a TAC case if you haven't already. 

Thanks

-Dennis M.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Looks like it needs a power cycle.  You should try the console connection, but likely to be getting the same error. 

I find a power drain ( remove power cables for 5mins ) is more consistent, but a power cycle usually works on ESA. 

dmccabej
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Was the device upgraded recently? That error normally points to a failed upgrade. You can try to reboot it, but most of the time it ends up needing to be replaced (RMA). You may want to open a TAC case if you haven't already. 

Thanks

-Dennis M.