cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Delivery Receipt through ESA fails

TruongP
Level 1
Level 1

When sending an email and requesting a "Delivery Receipt" via the checkbox within Outlook (New Message -> Options -> "Request a Delivery Receipt"), a message is generated by the originating Exchange environment that states:

Sender: Microsoft Outlook

Subject: Relayed: Test Message

Message Body: Delivery to these recipients or groups is complete, but no delivery notification was sent by the destination server.

The test message is successfully delivered to the destination.

Environment Layout:  Exchange Environment 1 -> Cisco ESA -> Exchange Environment 2

I have full control over all three environments.  If I remove the ESA from the environment layout and alter the routing to go direct and repeat the test, I receive the correct response from the destination server per below:

Sender: postmaster@destination_domain.com

Subject: Delivered: Test Message

Message Body: Your message has been delivered to the following recipients:

user@destination_domain.com

Subject: Test Message

There is nothing that I can find in logging to suggest anything has been "dropped/bounced" from either Exchange or the ESA.  In the direct connect scenario, there is outbound logging from destination_domain Exchange showing the send events of the Delivery Notification.  It's like the ESA is blocking/changing/altering the Delivery Notification request and it's not making it through to the destination.

2 Replies 2

martin-rinderer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
I have exactly the same Problem.
Any solution found?

saliyev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I understand that 'delivery receipt' message generated by sender's Exchange Server after successful delivery of the message and sent back to sender's mailbox.

In this case, you will not see 'Delivery receipt' message logs on ESA if it is generated by sender Exchange server and sent to originator which is mailbox in same server. Because flow is internal and doesn't pass trhough ESA.

I think here need first to understand based on what sender Exchange server generates delivery message?
if it generates after successful delivery, how Exchange server decides what is 'successful delivery'?
I think need to check does sender Exchange server generate 'delivery receipt' message after delivering the message to ESA? if not, Why? what it expects to generate that message?