cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dodgy or Legitimate e-mail Alert - Confirm Your Cisco Account

Not applicable

Please Advise,

IS This A Dodgy or Legitimate e-mail Alert - Title: Confirm Your Cisco Account

Confirm Your Cisco Account (ID:XXWilliXXx)

**t** ***lia**,

Due to Cisco’s security policy, we must ask you to confirm your Cisco Account information every year. Otherwise, you may not be able to obtain Cisco services.

To confirm your Cisco Account information, you must do one of following:

• Type the following URL into your browser: confirm.cisco.com
  • Go to the Cisco.com website, and click on “Account” in the top banner. After logging in, click on Profile Manager. Next to the Business Address, click “Edit”, update your information, and click the “Save Changes” button.
  • Or simply click here to confirm your Cisco Account information

Any one of the above steps will complete your Cisco Account confirmation.

If you do not confirm your Cisco Account Information by June 21, 2017, your account will be locked.

If you have trouble logging in to Cisco.com or forgot your password, click the “Forgot your user ID and/or password?” link on the Cisco.com on Log In page. If you need further help, email web-help@cisco.com.

Thank you,
Cisco Account Support

9 Replies 9

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The network owners for the URLs in the email are Cisco and have a good reputation, so I would consider this a legitimate email.

You can confirm reputation and details of URLs through talosintelligence.com

Thank You!

Libin Varghese

coworker got one just like this today and she/I had the same suspicion. All links appear to be valid & go directly to Cisco but it just seems odd. Why does their "security policy" require annual confirmation of the account? Perhaps because she doesn't log in that often? I am in mine several times per month so maybe that's why I don't get the confirmation emails & they only get sent to dormant accounts.

I have login quite often but still I received the same email. This is really weird esp the HTTP instead of HTTPS. I would suggest login directly to Cisco.com and update password directly from the portal instead of follow the steps instructed form the email.

Right? A credential check and the first thing you see is http. C'mon Cisco.

I use my account regularly and received one today.

CPP-Tech
Level 1
Level 1

The request seems legit. Here's what I did about it:

I went to Cisco.com and logged in as expected.

I was then presented with a screen with my account info, and two buttons one to confirm one to edit.

When I clicked the "Confirm" link I got a new screen saying that I was going to receive an additional email that would confirm my ability to still use the email on record.

The expected email came in, I copied the link to check if it was legit, and it took me to a page that thanked me for keeping my data up to date.

I suspect this is Cisco being a little over cautious.

klatu4245
Level 1
Level 1

Good rule to live by, Don't follow links provided by Email, ever.  Go to the valid site on your own and find what you need.  In this case it's easy - go to Cisco.com and log in.  The annual verify will prompt you through the process so it's easy and fast.

That being said I'm disappointed a company like Cisco, with so much security knowledge (firewalls, Cisco Web Security, Umbrella and so on), would send out an Email that asks their community to 'follow the link and type in your password".  Really Cisco?  You ask everyone in the IT community, people tasked with computer security, to violate a basic rule against Phishing?  

Ugh... 

Jay Kish
Level 1
Level 1

The email was legit. I was eventually asked to confirm my information when signing onto cisco for support. The email really needs to be drafted to not look like a fishing scam. They shouldn't even offer a link to verify in that email. Just my 2 cents worth.

cprice
Level 1
Level 1

Yep, I got one too on the 28th of June.  I was suspicious.  The site does look legit though... The only thing I got after logging into the site directly was an agreement I had to check the agree box before using the support site.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: