cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Max email volume

_gg
Level 1
Level 1

With the recent new business direction, Our team was tasked to manage 6M mails daily. Was wondering if our current 670 running on 8.5.6-074 version can sustain / handle such volume?

Also, Is there a guide somewhere that i can read how to properly scale and estimate mail volume based on the specification of the appliance?

3 Replies 3

amrisriv@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can refer below link to decide which specifications you can use as per the estimated mail flow:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/email-security-appliance/data-sheet-c78-729751.html

Thanks

Amrita

marc.luescherFRE
Spotlight
Spotlight

Unfortunately the answer for this is it depends. It depends on which security services you have enabled like AV, Antispam, Greymail, AMP, DLP etc and how many message and content filter are being used in your environement.

To give some numbers, on our peak days we had about 90 Million message attempts for our domains and this caused serious delays for at this time 4 virtual v600 ESA. In the meantime we have increased our capacity to 6 gateways but have also added many more plausibility checks for incoming emails.

I think if i where you I would first avoid having a single point of failure first by adding a second either hardware or 2 virtual gateways to your mix.

Lets assume we calculate based on our worst ever day.

90'000'000 / 4 = 22.500'000 connection attempts per gateway

based on SBSR and SDR normally cutting out 50% you end up at 11'250'000 message a day which need to be processed. We had all security features enabled  and we had an about 6 h delay that day in processing incoming emails.  For ease of use that would means 11'250'000 / 24 to get an hourly rate = 486'750 messages per hour and we did not have enough cpu power to process this. Realistically I think we can cope with 300'000 messages an hour per gateway to stay within our service levels.

Looking back at your 6 Mio messages a day number you can see that you should be able to do it but are already in the 70% load range, so while it could work you will have serious issues should your single ESA go down or be blacklisted.

I hope that helps

-Marc

Hi there,

when  i started at my current employer we had two of those appliances but could not keep up with 2 Mio of incoming emails per day.

We could survive by disabling message filter and other security functions. But is this really what you want ?

I am also pretty sure that you can no longer upgrade this appliance to the latest software Releases either (I think 11 or 12 was the last supported one).

So assuming you have the licenses for just go virtual and no longer use the hardware as you would need to have an upgrade party of at least 6 steps....

-Marc