Views
Helpful
Replies

Quarantine email recipient starts with 10

rab ngl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I created an incoming filter to quarantine an email recipient starts with 10, for example 109123@domain-y.com

Recipient_Start_With_10: if (rcpt-to == "^10") { quarantine("Policy"); }

I tested the filter and works fine. But, there are some emails intended to multiple recipients which start with 10 and another NOT start with 10.

For example:
Recipient: somebody@domain-y.com, 109123@domain-y.com

With the configuration above, the email is not delivered to both recipients.

What I need is the email to somebody@domain-y.com should be delivered, but for 109123@domain-y.com should not be delivered?

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rab,

An email with multiple recipients would not be processed differently unless the email is split for those recipients.

For instance when an email is injected it would have a MID 1, the message filters and content filters would take action on the entire message for MID 1.

In order to work around this the email can be split using a separate incoming mail policy and content filters for specific recipients.

If an email is injected with MID 1 and it has 2 recipients, if the first recipient matches mail policy 1 and the second recipient matches the default mail policy a new MID would be generated for the first recipient. Then a content filter for mail policy 1 would be able to quarantine the new MID generated.

However mail policies do not accept wildcards, hence you would need to find a way to split the emails into different MID's based on the below allowed formats.

e.g. user@example.com, user@, @example.com, @.example.com

You could then use content filters using wildcards.

For the example provided since the recipient address beginning with 10 is subject to change
Recipient: somebody@domain-y.com, 109123@domain-y.com

Incoming Mail Policy 1: Reciepient is somebody@domain-y.com : No content filters (This mail policy would need all recipient addresses to be allowed or a LDAP check to confirm recipients)

Incoming Mail Policy 2: Recipient is @domain-y.com : Content filter to check recipient address == "^10" and quarantine

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Libin