cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 WPAN interface on a single CGR? 1 for CGMesh, 1 for WiSun. Possible?

victorperez19
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new role in an IoT company that works with lighting sensors. The sensors join the network thru a CGR in the field using a CG-Mesh network. The company wants to upgrade from CGmesh to the new standard WiSun; the sensor's firmware and the WPAN image need to be upgraded to the new standard WiSun. 

When the WPAN is upgraded to use WiSun standard, the sensors on CGmesh firmware will lose communication with the WPAN because it is using WiSun now. I want to know if I can have 2 wpan interfaces working in the same CGR, one configured for CGMesh and the other one for WiSun, so that I wouldn't lose communication with the sensors which weren't upgraded or haven't completed the firmware upgrade to WiSun in the field.

5 Replies 5

nipun043
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes.. 2 WPANs are supported . However only on the new IR8140 series . But the new Version of field network director (4.9) will allow you to upgrade from cgmesh to wisun seamlessly

Most of them are CGR-1240, so you think it is not possible to have 2 wpan interfaces working at the same time here right?

That’s right .. but FND will help upgrade to wisun 

Got it... Thanks you for your help.

The problem is we have around 15.000 seasons in mesh networks which are not so stable. The process is to upload the Wisun firmware with the help of the FND... but because of the mesh network, I'm sure that a lot of sensors are not going to get the WiSun firmware upgrade and once I've changed the image of the WPAN interface from CGmesh to WiSun, I'll see the WiSun sensors but not the CGmesh sensors which didn't get the upgrade. In a lab environment you can troubleshoot it but in the field is not that easy to go to the location of the sensors to make the upgrade and those are going to the thousands probably.

OK - so in the new FND version there are multiple checks to make sure all the nodes have recieved the WiSUN firmware ... you can first download - then only activate once you are sure all the nodes have recieved the image . there is also a provision to go back to cgmesh , if the activation fails - this is with cgmesh image 6.2.x