cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IE3300 & Controllogix PLC - CIP "Invalid configuration size"

TMUR
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having an issue connecting a allenbradley controllogix plc to a IE3300 using CIP & EDS file provide on-board the device.

I'm able to communicate with the device fine with RSlinx but no matter my connection type in the controllogix I'm unable to get a connection. Has anyone had any success with this?

image.png

image.png

4 Replies 4

Albert Mitchell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hello,

you've done all the basics on the IE3300 such as enable CIP on a VLAN with an IP address that is reachable by control logix?

what document are you following to set this up?

ALBERT

Other then this simple document on CIP I have not found a specific document outlining the CIP / Ethernet/IP input/output/configuration assemblies.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/cisco_ie3X00/software/17_3/b_cip-modbus_17-3_iot_switch_cg/m_1610_cip-cg.html

This there a document better explain the specifics of the IE 3300 and its Ethernet/IP capabilities?

i don't know of a doc on cisco.com that can be used.

i have attached an informal doc i use to set it up in my lab.  its for RSLogix, not control logix.

perhaps, understanding how it works on RSLogix, will help on ControlLogix?  

ALBERT

TMUR
Level 1
Level 1

Yes I have done all the basics; enabled CIP on VLAN with IP and is reachable via the RSLinx on my laptop and the control logix plc. I was able to upload the eds file embedded in the switch firmware, which is what was used to create the module in the plc shown in my above screenshot.

Since my first post I utilized a utility called EZ EDS to open the eds file manually modify the configuration output file size. It appears the eds file contains named parameters but does not have the appropriate license key assigned by Rockwell for named tags to work within the control logix.

https://www.odva.org/subscriptions-services/software/ez-eds-download/ 

I'll post more specifics of the changes I made to the eds file when I'm back in the office but I feel I'm still missing something here. I'm running v17.04 firmware on the IE 3300

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: