Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Job Group Variables(local) variables in TES 6.1

I have a job group that has 3 jobs : Job 1-> Job 2-> Job 3

I would like to use a local variable to store the output from Job1 and use it while calling Job 3. We needed the variables to be specific to each run.

I tried the following, but was unsuccessful

1. I define the variable localFeedID in the Job Group

2. Then I go into Job 1. Under Job events, I try to insert an action to store the output of Job 1 into localFeedID. The local variable is not visible.(I later heard from Cisco this is expected behaviour)

What is the right way to achieve this ?

- Dinesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tracy Donmoyer
Level 1
Level 1

You can't use local variables in actions because actions exist outside of the group.  I initially forgot about that restriction.

There is a way to accomplish this.  On the Dependency tab of job 3 add a dependency on job 1.  This establishes a relationship between the jobs and allow you to reference the job variable from job 1 in job 3.  Click on the Variables button. Select Job Variables, "Job 1" (from the list), Job Output.  This will insert a variable named .  I don't know what the "#######" portion refers to, but it should provide the output from job 1 to job 3.

Tracy

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Tracy Donmoyer
Level 1
Level 1

You can't use local variables in actions because actions exist outside of the group.  I initially forgot about that restriction.

There is a way to accomplish this.  On the Dependency tab of job 3 add a dependency on job 1.  This establishes a relationship between the jobs and allow you to reference the job variable from job 1 in job 3.  Click on the Variables button. Select Job Variables, "Job 1" (from the list), Job Output.  This will insert a variable named .  I don't know what the "#######" portion refers to, but it should provide the output from job 1 to job 3.

Tracy

Hi Tracy

Thank you. I got it working using your approach. Just one minor correction - the Job Output variable is under Job Run Variables

-Dinesh

Would like to add that using this approach will decrease readability. So if you are a production support personnell, and you have many variables in the job, you will have a hard time understanding what each refers to. I guess that's the trade off