Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Job Group Variables(local) variables in TES 6.1

I have a job group that has 3 jobs : Job 1-> Job 2-> Job 3

I would like to use a local variable to store the output from Job1 and use it while calling Job 3. We needed the variables to be specific to each run.

I tried the following, but was unsuccessful

1. I define the variable localFeedID in the Job Group

2. Then I go into Job 1. Under Job events, I try to insert an action to store the output of Job 1 into localFeedID. The local variable is not visible.(I later heard from Cisco this is expected behaviour)

What is the right way to achieve this ?

- Dinesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tracy Donmoyer
Level 1
Level 1

You can't use local variables in actions because actions exist outside of the group.  I initially forgot about that restriction.

There is a way to accomplish this.  On the Dependency tab of job 3 add a dependency on job 1.  This establishes a relationship between the jobs and allow you to reference the job variable from job 1 in job 3.  Click on the Variables button. Select Job Variables, "Job 1" (from the list), Job Output.  This will insert a variable named .  I don't know what the "#######" portion refers to, but it should provide the output from job 1 to job 3.

Tracy

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Tracy Donmoyer
Level 1
Level 1

You can't use local variables in actions because actions exist outside of the group.  I initially forgot about that restriction.

There is a way to accomplish this.  On the Dependency tab of job 3 add a dependency on job 1.  This establishes a relationship between the jobs and allow you to reference the job variable from job 1 in job 3.  Click on the Variables button. Select Job Variables, "Job 1" (from the list), Job Output.  This will insert a variable named .  I don't know what the "#######" portion refers to, but it should provide the output from job 1 to job 3.

Tracy

Hi Tracy

Thank you. I got it working using your approach. Just one minor correction - the Job Output variable is under Job Run Variables

-Dinesh

Would like to add that using this approach will decrease readability. So if you are a production support personnell, and you have many variables in the job, you will have a hard time understanding what each refers to. I guess that's the trade off

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: