cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tidal as an FTP server?

Bill Slobodnik
Level 1
Level 1

Does Tidal have the capapcity to act as an FTP server, or would a 3rd party software be required?   I am investigating the possibility of using our Tidal infrastructure to not only manage our FTP's but to act as the server and internal landing zone as well.

Has anyone utilized Tidal in this capacity?  using Tidal version 6.1.0.171

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marc Clasby
Level 1
Level 1

Tidal can't act like an FTP server, you need a 3rd party software.

I had asked this very question in a user conference a couple of years ago and the answer long term was No. There would be no value to justify the R&D since other 3rd party software companies do this better with more features. Tidal already uses a 3rd party for the internal FTP mechanism (job type FTP).  I know as there was a flaw with MGET after they switched FTP providers (Bizzare use case where it will timeout trying to do a list on a FTP host with >40000 files) our needs have changed but I believe that flaw still exists.

As far as a solution goes:

We use Ipswitch Move-IT Central and DMZ product and leverage its api for outbound and some inbound file activity. I would recommend something similar that has and API that would allow tidal to control but you set up the in/out landing zones.

Good Luck!

Marc

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marc Clasby
Level 1
Level 1

Tidal can't act like an FTP server, you need a 3rd party software.

I had asked this very question in a user conference a couple of years ago and the answer long term was No. There would be no value to justify the R&D since other 3rd party software companies do this better with more features. Tidal already uses a 3rd party for the internal FTP mechanism (job type FTP).  I know as there was a flaw with MGET after they switched FTP providers (Bizzare use case where it will timeout trying to do a list on a FTP host with >40000 files) our needs have changed but I believe that flaw still exists.

As far as a solution goes:

We use Ipswitch Move-IT Central and DMZ product and leverage its api for outbound and some inbound file activity. I would recommend something similar that has and API that would allow tidal to control but you set up the in/out landing zones.

Good Luck!

Marc