cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8800 timeout/failback only with sidecar

BrendanP
Level 1
Level 1

My org has a single CUCM cluster with around 10k phones registered across 100+ buildings. We've been semi-regularly experiencing an issue that we've had trouble tracking down. Due to the nature of our deployment and the intermittent/difficult to reproduce nature of the issue, we've had a hard time providing TAC with requested info, so I thought I'd float this to the community to see if anyone else has experienced this and/or has any thoughts on root cause.

In troubleshooting, we've described the issue as follows: 8851 or 8865 phones with sidecars (36- or 28-button) show unregistered in CUCM, and debug display on the phones' web UIs show alternating timeout and failback errors every two minutes and change (SIP Station KeepAlive Interval = 120). Altering config so that only half of the available sidecar buttons are configured restores stable connectivity every single time.

As an example, a user has an 8851 with a CP-8800-A-KEM, 26 BLFs configured on the sidecar, and is experiencing this issue. I super copy the config to a dummy MAC to preserve it, then edit the phone in CUCM to remove the configuration for 12 of the buttons (14/28 used now); They're still assigned as BLF buttons, just no Destination/Directory Number/Label set. I apply the config change, the next time the phone registers, it stays registered. I edit the config again, add a single BLF back to the sidecar (15/28 used), the phone immediately unregisters and goes back to a timeout/failback loop until I remove the config from that 15th button. The order/position doesn't matter, I could put half on page 1 and half on page 2, or all on page 2, no change in the phone's ability to stay registered until >14 buttons are configured.

TAC has suggested network issues, but we're not seeing how that could be the case. E.g., I've got one remote site right now with two buildings. Building A has five 8851s with sidecars, three of which are currently experiencing this issue. Building B has six 8851s with sidecars, only one of which is experiencing this issue. Both buildings share a WAN connection, and in some cases affected and unaffected phones are connected to the same switches. All sidecars are CP-8800-A-KEM.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this! This issue has persisted through multiple phone firmware upgrades and a UCM upgrade from 12.x to 14.x.

1 Reply 1

We’ve encountered similar issues with an organization in this region, which has around 6,000 CP8800 phones. The phones intermittently re-register. After several months of troubleshooting with Cisco TAC, the Combined Collaboration Network, and MPLS TAC, we were able to pinpoint the problem to the customer’s MPLS network.

As suggested by TAC, this could be a network issue. If your network is Cisco, request TAC to involve the network TAC. If it’s another vendor, you’ll need to involve them.

Response Signature