cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8841 3PCC to Enterprise firmware upgrade (now not booting)

Brendan Ord
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This phone has been giving me hours of grief!  I'm attempting to swap a CP-8841 from the 3PCC firmware, over to the Enterprise firmware for use with our CUCM11.

I've tried a few things and get stuck at different points, here's a quick sumary;

- Uploaded sip88xx.11-7-1-17 firmware to UCM TFTP server, restarted -> phone complains about invalid loads file.

- Uploaded sip88xx.11-7-1-17 firmware to OSX TFTP server on my laptop -> same invalid loads file error.

- Tried some of the pre-loaded firmware on CUCM, these were sip88xx.10-3-1-20 and sip88xx.10-2-2-16 -> phone starts upgrading but then fails with a timeout error on rootfs88xx.10-3-1-20 and rootfs88xx.10-2-2-16 respectively.  The files are definitely there.

- Downloaded sip88xx.10-3-1-20 from Cisco, and put that up on a TFTP server running on my laptop.  I was getting the same timeout error when it got to rootfs.  When I test with a tftp client from terminal, I was getting a Permission Denied error.  So, I changed all the files to 777 to be sure.  Now, the phone begins its upgrade however it fails with "[tftp://172.2.2.53/rootfs88xx.10-3-1-20.sbn] Upgrade Failed. Reason: Error - Illegal Operation"..

I need to investigate turning on logging for the 'built-in' osx tftpd which might assist my troubleshooting.

Anyone else had endless problems with swapping the firmware on these phones?  I am initiating the upgrade process via the URL (<phone-ip>/admin/upgrade? etc).  The phone currently has a 10.3 3PCC firmware on it...

4 Replies 4

Brendan Ord
Level 1
Level 1

Oh yay ... now the phone seems bricked!

I am getting the following error;

"Embarrased... Phone's Web Service seems down.
Please check network connection to the phone and use the correct IP.
Error message is: Unable to load /admin/DownStsTab.json?request.preventCache=1487635998704 status: 0"

Double checking the model when I wrote the above post, the network cable fell out and phone powered down.  It wasn't doing any firmware upgrades, as far as I was aware - unless there was something happening in the background....  I can only assume that the rootfs failure has formatted the phone storage but not applied any new file?

Screen is blank, the Navigation Wheel and Speaker button are the only things lit up.

And, moments later the phone isn't even displaying the above error.  Web page times out.  Doesn't respond to ping.

Maybe the phone got a new DHCP lease?  The screen won't come on so I can't check anything ...

Factory reset instructions from here - https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12536956/factory-reset-8841 - seem to work, that is, the description of the headset, speaker and mute keys is as per instructions.

I ran through the key sequence, and now have a Speaker and Mute light lit up which is meant to indicate that the phone is doing a factory reset.  It's been 5 minutes and nothing has changed so I'm assuming that the factory reset process isn't working either...

Applying router/switch logic - is there an equivalent rommon mode I can get to over serial with these to see what's going on? See what firmware images remain in flash?

Hi!

did you manage to make this work?

I've some 7821 to upgrade from 3PCC to CUCM and after the upgrade starts, it already took 30 minutes and still upgrading....

I'm using this version: sip78xx.10-3-1-12.loads

http://<phone_ip>/admin/upgrade?tftp://<serv_ip[:port]>/sip78xx.10-3-1-12.loads

any hints?

thanks