cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8945 VPN Configuration Dropped During Power Cycle

BlastingFonda
Level 1
Level 1

We are seeing a strange issue at my company with CP-8945 phones logging into the company VPN from home. All seems to work fine with the phone when it first receives a configuration / profile (plugging into our company LAN on site), and when we bring the phones home, all is working fine with them connecting to the company VPN. However, if for some reason there is a power cycle - something as simple as the surge strip the phone is plugged into getting flipped off and on - and suddenly, the phone seems to lose it's ability to connect to the VPN. It doesn't even offer it as a menu item in the Settings menu. Note - and I cannot confirm this - but this also seems to happen when the phone is logged in. Log the phone out prior to the power cycle, and it seems to be fine.

Of course, there are plenty of scenarios including blackouts that can cause unanticipated power outages, and it's a huge pain to have to bring the phone into the office each time this happens. I'm on the Unified Communications team but not telecom specifically (more e-mail / MS Exchange) but have a decent understanding of how networks and VPNs operate, and nothing jumps out at me. I've had the telecom guys take a look and they are totally stumped. They also have issues even pulling logs off the phone to see what is happening. A previous case with Cisco has gone nowhere. Scanning all of the network settings on the phone post "wipe", I'm not seeing anything unusual - only that the phone is grabbing its DHCP info from my home ISP which I'm guessing it obtains during the boot process. But nothing seems to indicate what's happening. Maybe my ISP's DHCP config is overwriting something that's causing this? Is there any other memory that can get wiped when the phone power cycles, i.e. the cert used by the VPN?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

0 Replies 0