cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

After restarting license server(cluster's publisher) the license unit report recognises 0 units

themizzz21
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In a cluster of two cucm version 8 servers, we restarted the publisher server.

The cluster is up and running for 5 years now and the servers have been through many restarts.

Yesterday after restarting the license/publisher server and when pub came up, suddenly all ip phones went unregistered.

I logged in the GUI and there was a statement that there was no licenses thus the cm service on both servers is stopped.

In the License Unit Report there was -615 Units Used and so on.

I didn't know what to do, so i restarted again the license/publisher server.

After that restart, everything went OK.

Because this is the first time i face such a problem, the questions are:

1/. Any idea of what caused license server to count 0 Units.

2/. What happens to the cluster if license/publisher server crushes/goes off and have to be removed from cluster.

Thank you very much.

3 Replies 3

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Some services might not have started to get the license info could be the reason as you are saying that everything is fine after restart.

2. What happens to the cluster if license/publisher server crushes/goes off and have to be removed from cluster.

Well, you need to rebuild the publisher, restore the backup and if there is change in the license MAC (if installed as a VM), then you need to contact Cisco Licensing team and rehost your existing licenses to the new MAC, install the license file they provide.

HTH

Rajan

Not sure what could be the reason.

If u have a backup of Call manager, u can get lic files.

You should look for a file in backup with a name like "2012-07-28-09-38-39_Publisher_CCM_PLATFORM.tar" where Publisher is the name of your server.Unzip this file to extract the licenses file from a directory inside this tar file at the following location \usr\local\cm\conf\licfiles\

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12006276/software-license-lost-after-rebooting-pub-cucm-601a

regds,

aman

Tristan Cober
Level 1
Level 1

In regards to #1: This sounds like a race condition, to be honest. ELM might have started after CM service maybe?

For #2 You will need a rehost if your License MAC changed after a backup. Without a backup you will need to talk to your Cisco AM to see if they can track down the SO if you don't have it on hand, so the licensing team can assist you.