Views
Helpful
Replies

Assistance Needed with Multi-Site UCM/Phone Configuration

muranskycotech
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings!

I have a retail store chain that I'm implementing VoIP, and everything is working well with my current implementation plans EXCEPT for what I guess could be considered a failover scenario, although it's more like a mobility scenario for my use. Here's the scoop...

At the home office, I have a 2921 ISR setup with EIGRP and DMVPN, and inside my network is a UCM 7.1.5 server. At each of my stores is an 881W ISR with EIGRP and DMVPN reaching back home. At each site, I use 7925G wireless phones. I've done all my homework along the way and am getting GREAT performance and stability on this.

The issue comes into play with my mall kiosk stores (versus a traditional in-line store), in which their kiosk and my back room office/storage are close enough proximity to each other that my store employees would like to to just walk from one to the other. All of the wireless settings on the 881W's are setup the same, so that piece of the transition can happen, BUT when the phone transitions from one ISR AP to the other, the call of course drops or hangs. Each 881W is on a separate IP subnet, and so I'm guessing that the timing for an AP transition and UCM registration are taking too long.

So this is why I'm reaching out here... is there any way to optimize this to make it transition better?

5 Replies 5

jeremiah88
Level 4
Level 4

Make sure that you are running the absolute latest firmware and device pack for the 7925 phones. I had this same issue once and a firmware update fixed my problem. Make sure 881 is running latest iOS and firmware also.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks, I have already verified firmware versions for all equipment.

etamminga
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I would try to get rid of the L3 hop. Phones cannot keep their call active if they change ip mid call.

Try to join both networks into one and avoid ip changes when users move between these offices or accept dropped calls

Erik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Understood, and I'd be in favor of simplifying things at these locations with one network... how would I go about that though? There is no way for me to physically join them, and since they're split by Internet connections and DMVPN tunnels, I'm not sure how I'd accomplish this. Suggestions?

Hi,

Do you have overlapping wireless coverage at both locations? Can you 'see' the wifi network of the other location? If so, would there be an option to setup two ssid's one for location one and one for location two, so when users walk to the other they stay on their home-ssid. maybe bridge/l2-tunnel the voice vlan to the other site. All together it will be a little bit of a configuration mess

Don't know if this is possible, just thinking with you...

Regards,

Erik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: