cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Can ATA 191 Connect directly to VoIP Provider?

The ZMan
Beginner
Beginner

Hi Guys,

Do I need a CUCM to use an ATA 191?

Can I use it to connect directly to a VoIP provider?

Also, can the firmware be upgraded without a CUCM?

Thanks,

The ZMan

5 REPLIES 5

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend VIP Community Legend
VIP Community Legend

No

Yes

Yes

Thanks Leo.

Nithin Eluvathingal
VIP Mentor VIP Mentor
VIP Mentor

Do I need a CUCM to use an ATA 191?  Not mandatory

Can I use it to connect directly to a VoIP provider? you can do that. 

Also, can the firmware be upgraded without a CUCM? you can upgrade it without CUCM. 

Response Signature

The ZMan
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks for the reply Leo and Nithin.  But the answers need a little more clarification.

I found out the hard way (after trying to configure it) that Cisco makes 2 versions of the ATA191 (a CUCM and a Multiplatform version):

• The CUCM version only works with CUCM and does not work with 3rd party VoIP providers.
  • The multiplatform version only works with 3rd party VoIP providers and does not work with CUCM.

I was fiddling around with the CUCM version.  I need the multiplatform version.

Bottom line is: the answers are correct if you have the right version.

The ZMan
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks Leo and Nithin.  But the answers need a little more clarification. 

I found out the hard way (after trying to configure it) that Cisco makes 2 versions of the ATA191 (a CUCM and a Multiplatform version):

• The CUCM version only works with CUCM and does not work with 3rd party VoIP providers.
  • The multiplatform version only works with 3rd party VoIP providers and does not work with CUCM.

I was fiddling around with the CUCM version.  I need the multiplatform version.

Bottom line is: the answers are correct if you have the right version of the product.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: