Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM 4 upgrade to CCM 11 - Phone Firmware

ilana_ilana
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have upgraded CCM from version 4.x to 11.x (P2V) and cut over is on coming weekend.

My concern is the phone firmware upgrade.

Phone firmware on CCM 4.x is 8.0.4SR1S and CCM 11.x is having latest firmware 9.4.2SR1-1.

I am looking for information to verify that phones will upgrade from 8.0.4SR1S to 9.4.2SR1-1 automatic or do i need to installed some middle version.

Can any body share what steps should be considered for successful phone upgrade along with CCM upgrade.

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Most likely not, the RNs for each FW contain a warning if there needs to be a middle step between X and Y version, or from which versions you can upgrade directly to it, that should be the first thing you need to review.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

m.batts
Level 4
Level 4

Here you go , you will require a two step upgrade. 

Firmware Upgrade Issues

For all SCCP and SIP firmware upgrades from firmware release versions earlier than 8.3(3) to version 8.5(2)SR1 or greater, you must first upgrade your firmware to version 8.5(2). Once you have upgraded to version 8.5(2), you can upgrade your IP Phone to version 8.5(2)SR1 or later. Refer to the Firmware Versions in this Release section of this document to determine the firmware load provided in this SU.

For additional details, Firmware Upgrade Instructions, and Firmware Download locations please see:

SCCPhttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/8_5_2/english/release/notes/7900_852SR1.html#wp57602

SIPhttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/8_5_2/english/release/notes/7900_

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Most likely not, the RNs for each FW contain a warning if there needs to be a middle step between X and Y version, or from which versions you can upgrade directly to it, that should be the first thing you need to review.

HTH

java

Alright got the RN and from RN I can't jump direct from 8.0.4 to 9.4 I have to shift on middle version 8.5.2 then 9.4.

Can I downgrade Call Manager 11 phone firmware to 8.0.4 ?

What about security certificate issues ?

Phone compatibility you get from the downloads site, go to the phone FW you want (and for the specific model), and it will have something like this:

IP Phone load for 7912G SCCP - Compatible CUCM/CCM Versions: 5.0(4) and later 
cmterm-7912-8.0.4-sccp.cop.sgn

Bear in mind that 11 will not accept old FW files due to this bug

CUCM 11.0.1 only accepts .cop files signed by the RSA version 3 keys.
CSCuv73972
As per the bug, you'll actually need to upload the files manually from the zip files.
ITL was first introduced on CUCM 8.x, no version before it had anything related to ITL, you should have no problem just changing them from 4 to 11.

HTH

java

Thank Jaime,

Meaning there is no device pack as a set & I have to download the phone firmware individually as per model I have, right ?

Regarding ITL, In my situation phones registered with CCM 4.x don't have ITL currently and when it will registered with CCM 11.x they will get ITL, right ?

Suppose phone registered on CCM 11.x successfully with new firmware & for some reason I have to revert back phones to CCM 4.x, in this situation ITL or phone firmware is going to make issues or not ?

Regards,

m.batts
Level 4
Level 4

Here you go , you will require a two step upgrade. 

Firmware Upgrade Issues

For all SCCP and SIP firmware upgrades from firmware release versions earlier than 8.3(3) to version 8.5(2)SR1 or greater, you must first upgrade your firmware to version 8.5(2). Once you have upgraded to version 8.5(2), you can upgrade your IP Phone to version 8.5(2)SR1 or later. Refer to the Firmware Versions in this Release section of this document to determine the firmware load provided in this SU.

For additional details, Firmware Upgrade Instructions, and Firmware Download locations please see:

SCCPhttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/8_5_2/english/release/notes/7900_852SR1.html#wp57602

SIPhttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/8_5_2/english/release/notes/7900_

Thanx m.batts,

Do you know which device pack is having 8.3(3) firmware & where to download ?

Because at cisco.com the earliest device pack available is cmterm-devicepack7.1.2.22010-1.cop.sgn and it is having 8.5(2) version.

Also what about the phone security certificates ?

You'll need to download the files individually and then place them onto Callmanager manually.

No issue with phone certifcates as version 4 didn't use ITL. If you decide you need to rollback from version 11 then you will have issues.I would make sure you're familiar with the process to remove ITL files.

Thanx m.batts,

Are you referring to configure Rollback Enterprise Parameter option as mentioned into following link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/60716/migrating-ip-phones-between-clusters-cucm-8-and-itl-files

Regards