cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change from SCCP to SIP on Cisco 7971GE, 7975G and 7937G phones

Mike Clements
Level 1
Level 1

Frankly I have tired of the UC500 PBX config, bugs, complexities, and don't look forward to the BE series.  So I have decided to swap a site from SCCP to SIP and have the phones talk directly to a virtual PBX provided by the ITSP (2talk.co.nz).

It is a fairly small site with only basic requirements for telephony, these days I would probably just use Yealink, Linksys or Snom phones if I were starting fresh.  However I am hoping to not have to throw away the Cisco handsets which are quite nice, just the PBX.

My questions are

1. I understand I need to change the phones firmware to support SIP, is that a complex process? (many pot holes/bugs to be aware of)

2. Is the SIP firmware limited compared to a Yealink or Linksys phone?  For example can I configure soft buttons to use custom feature codes?

3. Has anyone done this before that would be willing to share their experiences?

If its to hard then I will get rid of the lot as I am over the complexity and don't want the PBX as a single point of failure.

P.S> I have searched a bit, but have had no luck finding answers.  I'm not even sure this is the correct forum to post too.

Cheers,

MC

1 Reply 1

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

I can't answer many of your questions, but a couple of quick points:

- Using CallManager to switch a phone from SCCP to SIP isn't too hard. Doing it manually is doable, but not something I've done.

- 7937s are SCCP only - there's no SIP firmware for them. The newer 8831s are SIP.

- Whilst Cisco phones can work with other call control platforms, you really get the best out of them in a CallManager environment.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.