cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1900 Series Router and SIP trunks

Joe Conklin
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking into the possibility of configuring a SIP trunk on a Cisco 1900 Series Router. The router does not have the IP telephony license, but it does have the security bundle. I do not need the router to do any telephony other than simply routing the traffic for VoIP out to a 3rd party SIP provider. As I understand to do that I really just need to configure a SIP trunk on an Internet facing interface which basically routes all traffic out to a SIP provider via IP or A name. Does that sound correct and is that possible with the security feature set only?

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As I understand to do that I really just need to configure a SIP trunk on an Internet facing interface which basically routes all traffic out to a SIP provider via IP or A name. Does that sound correct and is that possible with the security feature set only?

Not going to work.  Depending on your VSP (voice service provider), you need to ask them if they recommend turning on/off ALG.  Most providers require ALG to be enabled but some recommend ALG to be disabled.  ALG is enabled by default on Cisco routers.

Depending on your provider as well, you need to determine how many handsets do you want to configure.  If there's only one handset and you're not doing anything fancy, then you can get your handset to register with your VSP without any problems.

If you want fancy stuff, such as line extensions, call routing ... then you need something more beefy. 

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You do not need to do anything on the router.

Normally, all configuration is done on your phone system.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: